Did I make a mistake with Brett Myers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Did I make a mistake with Brett Myers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Did I make a mistake with Brett Myers?

Postby shoelessjoetara » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:19 pm

He is being called back up after the break. I dropped him because I just didn't trust him at all. Has he improved so much in Triple A that he could come back to haunt me? I know that pitching in the minors is a big difference from the Majors but this could have helped him just by clearing his head. Is he a pitcher that could help in the 2nd half? He has the talent but will he perform to that talent?
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Did I make a mistake with Brett Myers?

Postby smoovethug » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:07 pm

He's still the same inconsistent pitcher he was before he went down. He still has the talent but who's to say if he can piece it together to be able to help you in the 2nd half. If your league is shallow enough you should be able to watch him from the wire and hopefully pick him back up if he performs well.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby freeling_prideful » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:57 am

Apparently his taste of the bullpen life has led him to prefer that sort of "rock star" lifestyle over starting. Or at least, that's what he said in an interview...apparently he's not a 9-5 guy, he prefers the kind of job where you can show up in the afternoon and clock out an hour later...
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Myers sucks, it wasn't a mistake to drop him.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:03 pm

It depends on the league. I also dropped him and the only regret I have is not dropping him earlier. I usually think of Brett Myers as the AJ Burnett of the NL. The guy has a world of talent, but he's never able to piece it all together. If it's a shallow league, I'm sure you can find someone who won't have the strikeout potential Myers has, but at least he won't give up 3-run shots every game.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby deanm85 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:10 pm

I wouldn't feel bad at all. I traded Carlos Gomez for him early in the year thinking I was getting a steal. Nope. I just dropped him also. I wonder how deep your league is though. My league was so short that I was able to pick up Scott Baker (Dave Bush, F. Liriano were also available). I wouldn't worry about it too much.
There's a really big gap between getting your ass kicked....and having a dancing, singing sprite fool you with trickery and then strike your throat before you know that you're even in a fight
deanm85
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby PavanoAllstars » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:43 pm

I had a hard time giving up on Brett too... then he destroyed whip and era start after start... in all honesty, keep an eye on him on the waiver wire... but try to hold off until he throws at least two good starts in a row... preferably showing you a quality start away from home (he's been horrid away from home.)
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shoelessjoetara » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:27 pm

It is a 14 team mixed roto league. I picked up Dave Bush, Paul Maholm and Gil Meche. I dropped Myers, Colon and McGowan. Myers was picked up but he killed me in WHIP and ERA so I just had to drop him. I know Maholm and Meche won't be 15 or 20 game winners but at least they won't kill me in other categories when the matchups are good.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mrburns » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:16 pm

Depends. If you start him ONLY when he pitches at home, you will be FINE. I promise.

Check his home road splits from this year, last year and the year before.

His ERA at home this year is 3.81. Almost identical to 2007 AND 2006. Check the opposition batting average against him at home in each of the three years. He is FINE at home. Sucks @$$ on the road.
mrburns
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Injuries & Player Updates