Papelbon has a lot of nerve - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Papelbon has a lot of nerve

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Papelbon has a lot of nerve

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:50 pm

And that was so awesome how Yankee fans were making death threats to Papelbon's pregnant wife too!! They are the classiest. I was so lol.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:54 pm

bigken117 wrote:And that was so awesome how Yankee fans were making death threats to Papelbon's pregnant wife too!! They are the classiest. I was so lol.

Right because me enjoying Papelbon getting booed out of the Stadium means I also approve of death threats and think all Yankee fans are classy!! Woohoo!!
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:56 pm

You guys got it all wrong. Paps was fine...it was Jeter's fault that he gave up that single.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:02 pm

bigken117 wrote:And that was so awesome how Yankee fans were making death threats to Papelbon's pregnant wife too!! They are the classiest. I was so lol.

Boo freaking hoo.

If he had half the brain power of an average human being then he wouldn't be shooting off his mouth in the first place. Why feed the sharks? What was he expecting a standing ovation? I just love the fact that he blew the lead during a crucial moment. Karma is a bitch.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cobra_Kai » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:16 pm

Yoda wrote:

Boo freaking hoo.

If he had half the brain power of an average human being then he wouldn't be shooting off his mouth in the first place. Why feed the sharks? What was he expecting a standing ovation? I just love the fact that he blew the lead during a crucial moment. Karma is a bitch.

If you had half the brain power of an average human being you would have looked at what he actually said and realize that this whole thing is the result of the sports media (once again) making something out of nothing.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:22 pm

Polar Bear wrote:You guys got it all wrong. Paps was fine...it was Jeter's fault that he gave up that single.

Not enough fist pumping obviously
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Boo freaking hoo.

If you had half the brain power of an average human being you would have looked at what he actually said and realize that this whole thing is the result of the sports media (once again) making something out of nothing.

I'm pretty sure that everyone understands what he said was completely blown out of proportion. But no one forced him to open his mouth either.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:28 pm

Are there multiple reports of death threats. Or did the Philly Enquirier or whatever hear one person say something retarded in a retarded accent and get it confused? I find it hard to believe lots of yankees fans (or any human beings) were yelling about killing pregnant women.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Papelbon's wife apparently was shouted at from the street. Calling these shout-outs "death threats" may be technically accurate but also ridiculously sensationalistic. Classless? Absolutely. Indicative of Yankees fans or New Yorkers in general? Probably not. Combine alcohol with young male sports fans and you're likely to hear crude stuff regardless of where you are. I'd be embarrassed to admit some of the stuff I shouted at Larry "Chipper" Jones "back in the day" (although I never threw a battery).

I do think Papelbon's reaction to all of this was a bit off to say the least. I'm not really sure what he expected. This is the nature of sports rivalries, especially one that is so scrutinized. It's like opening the genie's bottle and requesting your wish. No matter how carefully you word it, the media will find a way to use it to sell papers. It's not like the NY media is the only one to do this, they just get more attention than everyone else.

And lastly, I think the Yankees fans in attendance are boobs for booing Papelbon. If you don't care about the outcome why the heck did you go to the game? And if you do care about the outcome then how do you do that to "your" team. I realize it's not completely the same but I have no problem rooting for Chipper or Utley or whoever during the All-Star game.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:32 pm

Yea I could see Anthony Rofaloianio, yankees fan for life!, yelling something like "Hey paplebons wife we gonna kill you in the playoffs!"

And then the media writing "They are threatening to kill her!"
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers