Papelbon has a lot of nerve - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Papelbon has a lot of nerve

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Papelbon has a lot of nerve

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:47 am

quitesanemax wrote:
rib217 wrote:I couldnt be happier with Paplebon blowing that game!

Paps didn't blow the game. Last I checked, the American League won. And you really can't even blame Paps. It wasn't even an earned run.

Yep he had nothing to do with giving up the single to Tejada. Or failing to hold a 34 yo base runner. Or giving up a long sac fly. He had nothing to do with blowing the lead. It was all Navarro or someone else's fault or just bad luck.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:10 am

Yoda wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:
rib217 wrote:I couldnt be happier with Paplebon blowing that game!

Paps didn't blow the game. Last I checked, the American League won. And you really can't even blame Paps. It wasn't even an earned run.

Yep he had nothing to do with giving up the single to Tejada. Or failing to hold a 34 yo base runner. Or giving up a long sac fly. He had nothing to do with blowing the lead. It was all Navarro or someone else's fault or just bad luck.

It was an unearned run. Singles happen to the best of pitchers. Paps concentrates on getting the batter out. He doesn't worry about the man on 1st in a situation like that, cause he has a catcher who doesn't tend to throw the ball away. Most decent player can force a sac fly ball. And this was the All Star game, so it goes without say that all he was facing was decent players. One thing I will say is that I'm not sure why Tito didn't work it out so that Tek was catching when Paps was in there. Paps was the only Red Sox pitcher playing last night... its what hes used to. That would have been smarter managing.

Bottom line is if Navarro doesn't make a bad throw, that sac fly ball probably ends up meaning nothing. I was glad to see Navarro make up for it in the 9th with that double play.

That being said, Paps hasn't been as lights out lately as he has been known to be. As a Red Sox fan, I can't help but notice that. Hes been in a slump. Used to be that if the Sox went into the 9th with a lead, as far as I was concerned, the game was over. Latelly he has been making the 9th interesting. It might have to do with the way the whole Sox bullpen has been doing lately. They've been struggling, especially on the road, and maybe its been rubbing off on him a bit.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:15 am

It was Papelbon's fault for blowing the save, but all you guys saying so are also the same exact people in the closer's thread who defend closers for blowing saves with "aw, it was a bloop single" or "that OF should have made that catch" or "it was an unearned run" or any number of other excuses... so you're being kind of hypocritical by trashing on Papelbon here.

Anyhow, not one person has mentioned how classy it was of Francona to bring Mariano in during the middle of an inning to get that giant cheer from the Yankee stadium crowd. I thought that was cool.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby jsphlly » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:42 am

PAPELBUM!!1!!1
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Duke7684 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:13 pm

I heard that Papelbon and Ricky Schroeder are the same person...Can anyone confirm that?
Duke7684
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:40 pm

Duke7684 wrote:I heard that Papelbon and Ricky Schroeder are the same person...Can anyone confirm that?

Confirmed. I talked to Billy Corgan (the kid from Small Wonder) and Marilyn Manson (Paul from the Wonder Years and they said they all used to hang out back in the day. ;-7
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:41 pm

The papelbon booing was so awesome. I was totally waiting for him to throw out the old Bird to the stadium. But he didn't and alas my happiness never reached orgasmic levels.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:12 pm

He just needed Uggla at the dish all three times and he wouldn't have had to worry about giving up that sac fly.

What a friggen bum
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:28 pm

acsguitar wrote:The papelbon booing was so awesome. I was totally waiting for him to throw out the old Bird to the stadium. But he didn't and alas my happiness never reached orgasmic levels.

Your life must suck. :-P

jk :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:36 pm

I literally started laughing out loud at how badly Papelbon got booed last night as he left the game. That was brutal. One of the worst receptions I've ever heard, even at Yankee Stadium.

Hilarious.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers