Veto RULE change mid year? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Veto RULE change mid year? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Veto RULE change mid year? WHIR

Postby tribefan08 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:04 pm

about a month ago the guy who "was" the commish turned it over to me...

Our veto rule was league vote, which by yahoo says 4 league mates need to vote to turn down a trade, well in our league trades get vetoed... ALOT, too much actually, and NO its not fair, but its the way it has been, he just all of a sudden up and changed the ruling to YAHOO DECIDES, which would be fine if he would ask anyoneeeeeee in the league and have a vote??? But he just changes it, me and another guy gripe about it... he gets totally ticked turns the league over to me like I said... now he just had a deal that probably shouldn't have been vetoed turned down, and he's throwing and absolute fit, what am i supposed to do about this? I DO NOT want to change our ruling mid year, i think that is totally wrong and for this year we should ride it out.... change it next year?

Its a 12 team H2H league we each threw down $100 towards a pot. The money is another reason i don't think the settings should be changed this year. It's a big pot, about half to winner of the regular season, alot to the tourney winner, and a bit to second in the tourney...

If you can give me some of your opinions I appreciate it..... thanks
tribefan08
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Veto RULE change mid year? WHIR

Postby noseeum » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:06 am

Now here's a rule that's ripe for mid season change.

For me, in order for a rule to be considered for change mid season, it's either got to have unanimous consent, or it has to be a rule that has no impact on roster decisions.

I'll admit my bias and say I'm in the "no veto" camp. In a league where all owners no each other, owners should be able to trade whoever they want for the most part.

That said, I don't see how a trade rule impacts your decision making RE your roster. No one drafts based on trade rules. No one makes free agent moves based on trade rules. So in this case, you're not hurting any particular owner if you decide that the voting system must go.

Is the trade he's upset about fair? Do you think it should have been voted down? Ask the owners who voted it down to explain themselves. Maybe they have no explanation, and they're voting it down because it makes this guy better. If that's the case, do you think this rule is fair? You can potentially have four owners colluding to block a guy from improving his team. Not saying you do in your league, but the point is that trade votes being anonymous is total BS. There's no way that system can be fair. The vote should be out front and a person voting to veto should explain his position.

So in this case, I would say you need to look into what's going on further. If you believe people are voting down trades just because they don't want other teams to improve, than you almost HAVE to change the rule.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner