100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Home Run Derby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Home Run Derby

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 am

mweir145 wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:
It's just incredibly stupid to me. Why would God care who wins? Sports and winning are about who can come out on top through talent, determination, will-power, not who prays the most.

And yes, I am forced to listen to him talk about his faith if he brings it up right in the middle of an interview during the Home Run Derby.

Did Josh even say anything about winning? I don't remember him saying anything about winning...

He did thank God for his success during the 1st interview after he hit 28 home runs in the 1st round, and in the interview after he finished in the final round, if I'm not mistaken. It just gets pretty tiring.

It gets tiring when you hear it from guys that you know won't ever go 2 church...
With Josh it seems more genuine...
Last edited by J.C.Fighter on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:43 am

For him obviously, his faith in god helped him through the tough times and he is where he is now because of it. I am not religious at all but I don't see a problem with what he did.prototypical

I think he will feel better lol...
Ppl don't even have to be religious to be thanking God for anything.... just having a relationship with him is suffice..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:54 am

Yoda wrote:Would you feel better if he thanked Satan?

Meh, that would still garner the same reaction from me. He's the one that did all this, not a supernatural being.

For him obviously, his faith in god helped him through the tough times and he is where he is now because of it. I am not religious at all but I don't see a problem with what he did.

Again...sports are about talent, will, and determination (etc..), not who prays the most. I just don't really like to see athletes going around saying that God helped them win things on the field of play. But whatever gets him through the day.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:04 am

Personally I am the biggest "Shutup about your stupid jesus" person that I know. I went to catholic school and it annoys me to know end. HOWEVER, here is a guy who by all mean should be dead. He put his faith in a higher being and want everyone to know that he believes this is why he is here today. Good for him. It doesn't make me want to go to church tomorrow but it does make me respect him fro turning away from drugs into something positive (and religion can be pretty positive if followed correctly). For some reason also when he says things about god I believe his sincerity while when so and so NFL player says it I believe he's just saying it so that when he gets caught driving 150 mph with hookers in his back seat people will not believe the cops.

Anyways he's a quite nice guy from the south (very religious) who has been to hell and back if he wants to praise god then go for it.

Funny how I didn't hear Jason Morneau praising god though :)
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby NorthSider2 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:11 am

I think the derby should be adding up in all 3 rounds. I know they do it for the first two but im pretty sure he beat Morneau with just his first round. He should have won ;-D
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DSheppard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:29 am

NorthSider2 wrote:I think the derby should be adding up in all 3 rounds. I know they do it for the first two but im pretty sure he beat Morneau with just his first round. He should have won ;-D

Morneau hit 22. So yeah, he beat him by 6 with his first round.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:34 am

I have no problem with the scoring system. It is what it is and it's not like anything huge hangs on the outcome.

And it's still not as entertaining as the original Home Run Derby: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=o ... =N&tab=wv#
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:40 am

I don't care who wins the derby truthfully by the time the final round comes along everyone is tired especially if you put up 32 HR's before the final round.

The whole round thing is pretty dumb but whatever. It was cool watching him launch those 500 footers
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:42 am

This is being locked. Derby is over. You know that you're basically free to discuss whatever you want in General Talk. However, religious discussions have no place outside of GT and I am far too lazy to split a topic that will be forgotten in a day.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers