Home Run Derby - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Home Run Derby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Home Run Derby

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:51 am

byfrcp wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:They need to just go to total home runs, with every homer carrying over to the finals. It doesn't matter when you hit them, it should be who hit the most in the event who wins..

Morneau might have the trophy but we all know who was the real home run king this night. Doesn't matter if the scores are lower and there isn't a huge discrepancy in the number of bombs hit, either. Tonight just exposed the format for all to see.

I think all this whining about the set-up is ridiculous. It is what it is. The players know they don't need to hit 28 HR in the first round so why do it? Might as well just give all 8 guys 30 outs and just see who can hit the most.

If a team went 162-0 in the regular season and lost in the playoffs would that be unfair?

First off, I have no problem with setting a set number of swings for each competitor and seeing who hits the most. As far as your analogy goes, they would have to have played every team from the other league in the regular season for it to work. But even if it was the case, it's still a poor analogy because teams play against each other with one team trying to prevent the other from scoring. Home run derby contestants do not hit at the same time or try to prevent the other players from hitting the most home runs. They are trying to see how many homers they can hit by themselves with their 10 outs and nobody else hitting at the same time. And considering they aren't hitting at the same time, there really is no need for more than just one round anyways. Whichever player hits the most homers in the alloted number of pitches wins said event.

And why hit 28 bombs in a round? Because the derby is for show/the fans, and that was an amazing display of talent. It was absolutely worth it.
Last edited by DVauthrin on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:03 am

DSheppard wrote:i think he feels he has an obligation to try to "spread the word" when he has the pedastal to do so.

if you read the long articles with real conversations with the guy, he gives plenty of credit to his friends/family.

The only thing that annoys me is when people thank God for success in competitions like this. A lot of religious athletes do this when I think about it (Zach Johnson at the '07 Masters). What about when they lose? Does that mean God wanted somebody else to win on that day? Did God want Morneau to win today?

Meh, just a pet peeve, whatever gets these guys to believe in their abilities I guess...
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:11 am

mweir145 wrote:The only thing that annoys me is when people thank God for success in competitions like this. A lot of religious athletes do this when I think about it (Zach Johnson at the '07 Masters). What about when they lose? Does that mean God wanted somebody else to win on that day? Did God want Morneau to win today?

Meh, just a pet peeve, whatever gets these guys to believe in their abilities I guess...

I agree it's annoying when some athletes do it, but I think that if anyone has a legitimate reason to, it's Hamilton.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:11 am

mweir145 wrote:
DSheppard wrote:i think he feels he has an obligation to try to "spread the word" when he has the pedastal to do so.

if you read the long articles with real conversations with the guy, he gives plenty of credit to his friends/family.

The only thing that annoys me is when people thank God for success in competitions like this. A lot of religious athletes do this when I think about it (Zach Johnson at the '07 Masters). What about when they lose? Does that mean God wanted somebody else to win on that day? Did God want Morneau to win today?

Why is this even an issue though or a pet peeve? It's not like you're forced to listen to these guys talk about their faith ...
a pet peeve of mine is when people complain about stuff like this....

Josh might of lost but he used this stage to show what God can do in somebody's life...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:27 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Why is this even an issue though or a pet peeve? It's not like you're forced to listen to these guys talk about their faith ...
a pet peeve of mine is when people complain about stuff like this....

Josh might of lost but he used this stage to show what God can do in somebody's life...

It's just incredibly stupid to me. Why would God care who wins? Sports and winning are about who can come out on top through talent, determination, will-power, not who prays the most.

And yes, I am forced to listen to him talk about his faith if he brings it up right in the middle of an interview during the Home Run Derby.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:32 am

I usually think it's implied that people who thank God do so because they thank Him for strength & will that aided them in the competition. I have no problem with that at all.

You're right, though, those who do thank God for actually deciding the competition are a bit off base. I have a feeling that God isn't spending the energy to rig competitions.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:43 am

It's just incredibly stupid to me. Why would God care who wins? Sports and winning are about who can come out on top through talent, determination, will-power, not who prays the most.

And yes, I am forced to listen to him talk about his faith if he brings it up right in the middle of an interview during the Home Run Derby.

Did Josh even say anything about winning? I don't remember him saying anything about winning...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:11 am

I don't have too much of a problem with the God thing. I think its ridiculous to think he cares who wins a game or not. However, I don't think its ridiculous that he puts people in a position to be their best, and thanking God for that, and giving someone the opportunity etc., is not silly. Granted, in sports someone wins and someone loses, but if the person is just thanking god for giving them the chance, ability, etc., to compete, I don't have a super problem with it.

I will add that it does get pretty lame, as its overused. I don't think that drawing attention to yourself through your piety is really the point ...
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:

Did Josh even say anything about winning? I don't remember him saying anything about winning...

He did thank God for his success during the 1st interview after he hit 28 home runs in the 1st round, and in the interview after he finished in the final round, if I'm not mistaken. It just gets pretty tiring.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:36 am

mweir145 wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:

He did thank God for his success during the 1st interview after he hit 28 home runs in the 1st round, and in the interview after he finished in the final round, if I'm not mistaken. It just gets pretty tiring.

Would you feel better if he thanked Satan?

For him obviously, his faith in god helped him through the tough times and he is where he is now because of it. I am not religious at all but I don't see a problem with what he did.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers