Home Run Derby - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Home Run Derby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Home Run Derby

Postby abrage22 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:03 am

Old_Style wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:Wow did you guys know that Josh Hamilton was once a drug user? Do you know what an amazing story his comeback is?

My god, I'm sick of the media slobbering over this guy. How about instead of worshiping a guy that nearly ruined his life with drugs, we could admire the hundreds of other players that never did drugs in the first place?

I don't have anything against Hamilton. Just the media that has to bring up the background story we've all heard a thousand times whenever they talk about him.

That would make for one very, very boring story if you ask me. :-D

;-D ;-D

sportsaddict, how could u say such words 8-o :~( :-C
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thatguy27 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:08 am

Props to Josh. That was one of the single most impressive personal feats I've ever witnessed. And I personally can't get enough of the side story with this guy. It's such an amazing story - truly inspirational.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby abrage22 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:10 am

totally insperational. who says i write a whole article on him :-b , if thats allowed %-6
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:11 am

DSheppard wrote:the wiki page doesnt actually describe it, so ill summarize.

a non-pro golfer is in the us open or whatever tourny it was. he gets to the 18th hole just needing to layup or whatever to win. instead he decides to go for the scoring record and get to the green from a tough spot. he puts like 8 shots in a row into the water to throw away the tourney trying to do so. then he finally holes it out from where he was the entire time in one shot.

basically, he is the story of the tourny without winning.

Thank you good sir. ;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:46 am

sportsaddict wrote: My god, I'm sick of the media slobbering over this guy. How about instead of worshiping a guy that nearly ruined his life with drugs, we could admire the hundreds of other players that never did drugs in the first place?

I'm sorry, but this IS a great story. Kid who could have had a Pujols-esk career and a chance at who knows what type of hall of fame numbers throws it all away and still proves it's never too late to save your dream. I know from a baseball prospective it's getting a bit too much hype, but the hope he brings to the millions of Americans who fall into the dark hole of addiction each year is certainly worth the coverage.

The reason so many people (myself included) respect the man is the fact that he hasn't tried to sweep anything under the rug. He's done many interviews about his horrible choices and how thankful he is to have a second chance. Think of how many rich/famous people have drug issues and play it down, never talk about it, ect. Not only that, but he's a very outgoing and approachable guy.

I agree there aren't enough media pieces done about people like Pujols who are truly giving and caring individuals without any problems, but I don't think you can take away from what a positive story this is.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:55 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
sportsaddict wrote: My god, I'm sick of the media slobbering over this guy. How about instead of worshiping a guy that nearly ruined his life with drugs, we could admire the hundreds of other players that never did drugs in the first place?

I'm sorry, but this IS a great story. Kid who could have had a Pujols-esk career and a chance at who knows what type of hall of fame numbers throws it all away and still proves it's never too late to save your dream. I know from a baseball prospective it's getting a bit too much hype, but the hope he brings to the millions of Americans who fall into the dark hole of addiction each year is certainly worth the coverage.

The reason so many people (myself included) respect the man is the fact that he hasn't tried to sweep anything under the rug. He's done many interviews about his horrible choices and how thankful he is to have a second chance. Think of how many rich/famous people have drug issues and play it down, never talk about it, ect. Not only that, but he's a very outgoing and approachable guy.

I agree there aren't enough media pieces done about people like Pujols who are truly giving and caring individuals without any problems, but I don't think you can take away from what a positive story this is.

Good post. I agree that people like Pujols defiantly deserve more credit, but part of sports is drama and perseverance and Pujols doesn't really have that to talk about.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DSheppard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:57 am

the fact that he holds all the talks (he has done so in arlington after 2 games this year and dozens of times in general) with any public that wants to show up definitely gives him some credit. he didnt just finally move from a "bad" to "neutral", he went out of his way to try to use his history in a positive way.

he'd be a story regardless, but his current open attitude about it and that hes always smiling and such.. it just makes it a lot easier to get past his... past.

although everytime he mentions god theres 15 people bashing him on the espn message boards for it.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:13 am

I don't get why people get so upset about it. It's not like he's going to make more money than guys of his caliber and teams are going to consider him a risk for at little bit longer. It's just a story and it's a good one that can help a lot of people out. I don't think anybody in their right mind looks at it and says "Hey, if I am a great player, abuse drugs and bounce back from it, I'll be a superstar" Great players have an easier road than that. Speculation, but if Hamilton was able to put up even close to these numbers for the past 3 years we'd be talking about him as a shoo-in for the Hall. But, he threw away 3 years of his life. So, not only is it a good story, it's a lesson.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:19 am

DSheppard wrote:although everytime he mentions god theres 15 people bashing him on the espn message boards for it.

That's because that sort of thing is becoming unpopular.
If you are not religious that is like nails on a chalk board.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:57 am

AussieDodger wrote:
DSheppard wrote:although everytime he mentions god theres 15 people bashing him on the espn message boards for it.

That's because that sort of thing is becoming unpopular.
If you are not religious that is like nails on a chalk board.

Who else is he going to thank? Without God I doubt this guy would still be alive right now...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers