100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Home Run Derby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Home Run Derby

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:47 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:A couple years from now no ones gonna remember/care who won, they'll just remember Hamilton's 28.

Tin Cup moment

I don't know what that means. Please elaborate so I don't feel stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Cup
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DSheppard » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:52 pm

the wiki page doesnt actually describe it, so ill summarize.

a non-pro golfer is in the us open or whatever tourny it was. he gets to the 18th hole just needing to layup or whatever to win. instead he decides to go for the scoring record and get to the green from a tough spot. he puts like 8 shots in a row into the water to throw away the tourney trying to do so. then he finally holes it out from where he was the entire time in one shot.

basically, he is the story of the tourny without winning.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:54 pm

mweir145 wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Tin Cup moment

I don't know what that means. Please elaborate so I don't feel stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Cup

That movie was the reason for the first time I wagged school.
Our class was going to see that at the movies and I was like "Oh hell no."
:-D :-D :-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:03 am

sblinyy wrote:
sblinyy wrote:Morneau

Yep.

I don't like yoda's point system idea because a guy can still hit the most home runs and lose if he hits a lot in round 1 and his opponent hits a lot in the last round.

What I think they should do is total home runs. Every home run carries over. Still have eliminations but carry over the home runs hit in rounds 1 and 2. They do this for the first and second round but then they decide to erase everything for the championship. Doesn't make much sense to erase the previous 2 rounds.

Whatever but they need to reward the guy who hits the most HR or maybe even the total distance. Otherwise it's pointless.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:09 am

Wow did you guys know that Josh Hamilton was once a drug user? Do you know what an amazing story his comeback is?

My god, I'm sick of the media slobbering over this guy. How about instead of worshiping a guy that nearly ruined his life with drugs, we could admire the hundreds of other players that never did drugs in the first place?

I don't have anything against Hamilton. Just the media that has to bring up the background story we've all heard a thousand times whenever they talk about him.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DSheppard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:12 am

sportsaddict wrote:Wow did you guys know that Josh Hamilton was once a drug user? Do you know what an amazing story his comeback is?

My god, I'm sick of the media slobbering over this guy. How about instead of worshiping a guy that nearly ruined his life with drugs, we could admire the hundreds of other players that never did drugs in the first place?

I don't have anything against Hamilton. Just the media that has to bring up the background story we've all heard a thousand times whenever they talk about him.

Because we all know that no player has ever gotten attention before. A-Rod? Griffey? Pujols? Never heard of them. Not enough drugs.
Last edited by DSheppard on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bwanna » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:12 am

Jim Reeves, Star-Telegram.com wrote:...

One concern is the effect that home run contests sometimes have on hitters, who have been known to foul up their swings when they deliberately try to hit home runs.

The Rangers’ idea, however, would strictly control the number of swings for each hitter, limiting them to 10 apiece. Most total home runs in 20 swings for the two hitters wins the contest, with no sudden death "playoff" in the event of a tie.

"We would make it very player friendly," Petroskey said.

That would likely make it far less damaging than the many swings a hitter must take if he advances deep in MLB’s Home Run Derby on the day before the All-Star Game.

Hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo isn’t particularly thrilled that Josh Hamilton is going to take part in that event, but he also sees the bigger picture.

"It’ll mess up his swing," Jaramillo said with a shrug, "but what are you gonna do?"

Jaramillo understands that part of Hamilton’s day-to-day struggle is with a major sense of insecurity and that it could be bolstered tremendously by his appearance on such a major national stage.

"He can use the validation," Jaramillo said.

Hamilton sees it as literally a dream come true and an opportunity to spread his story to thousands of more fans.

"I want them all to know what God has done in my life," said Hamilton.

Eric Karabell, espn.com wrote:Forget about any Home Run Derby jinx

Sunday, July 13, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

A buddy e-mails me the other day when he finds out a player he's targeting in a trade, the future AL Rookie of the Year, is going to compete in the Home Run Derby on Monday night.

"Darn, guess I won't be trading for Longoria now. Wait, you do believe in the derby curse, right?"

You gotta be kidding me.

Evan Longoria is a stud, and unless he gets hurt Monday, nothing that happens in the derby is going to unravel his season. The guy is a future stud. But this does bring up the very important point about the Home Run Derby and its affect, if any, on statistics and fantasy baseball. Is there evidence that a power swing can get all messed up just by competing in this event, or winning it? Bobby Abreu fantasy owners from 2005 think they know the answer. Abreu himself has given credence to the theory by admitting his swing didn't recover. Sorry, I just don't believe it.

Abreu wasn't really a power hitter in the first place, despite the fact he had launched 18 of them before the break that season. After the break, with his swing supposedly messed up, he hit only six home runs. Apparently his swing has been messed up ever since, though, as he managed only 15 home runs in 2006, 16 in 2007, and he's in double digits currently, but on pace for 17. It's really a shame his swing was so messed up that Home Run Derby that he's on pace for 66 walks this season, by far the lowest of his career. Makes perfect sense to me.

Blaming the derby is a fine excuse, I suppose, but 2006 derby winner Ryan Howard went nuts after the break the following season, smashing 30 home runs. His swing wasn't messed up. Vladimir Guerrero won it in San Francisco last year, and his second-half output outpaced what he did in the first half, because he came to the plate fewer times and really, dropping from 14 pre-break homers to 13 isn't exactly worth of a Senate investigation. How come we only hear about the few players who had their swing irretrievably destroyed? I think it's because it's untrue.

... full story ...
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 244)

Postby Old_Style » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:13 am

sportsaddict wrote:Wow did you guys know that Josh Hamilton was once a drug user? Do you know what an amazing story his comeback is?

That would make for one very, very boring story if you ask me. :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:20 am

sportsaddict wrote:Wow did you guys know that Josh Hamilton was once a drug user?

Wait. What? No way.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ursa » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:43 am

All of Minnesota and Canada says pfffffffffffffft to the lot of you. :-b
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)