Saito injured - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Saito injured

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Saito injured

Postby copper1405 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:03 am

It is unknown on the extent at this point but it would be wise to pick up Broxton immediately.

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpage ... LB&id=4390
copper1405
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Saito injured

Postby bologna_sandwich » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:11 pm

Just thought it was interesting that Rotoworld's forum has 4 solid pages in regards to this exact same thread. The Cafe......ZERO replies!?!!!?????

I dumped Saito this AM and picked up Broxton.
The reports do not sound good for Saito owners, he's going for MRI Monday and it
sounds as if he's in quite a bit of pain.

By Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
July 13, 2008
Takashi Saito walked off the mound, shaking his dangled right arm. Then he walked off the field, his right elbow tight and future in question.

Fourteen pitches into the ninth inning of the Dodgers' eventual 5-3, 11-inning loss to the Florida Marlins on Saturday at Dodger Stadium, Saito called it a night -- and, perhaps, a career.

The Dodgers' 38-year-old closer said he felt fine recording the first two outs of the inning. But on the first pitch to the third batter, Wes Helms, Saito said that he was "hit with a sudden tightness."

That he would notice elbow tightness in a game with his adrenaline flowing, Saito said, was the first sign of trouble.

"The kind of tightness that you feel on the mound isn't a normal tightness," he said.

He threw three more pitches.

"It became gradually worse and I thought, 'This isn't tightness,' " Saito said.

What exactly it is won't be known until at least Monday, when Saito is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam.

Saito, who was an All-Star last season, had bone chips removed once over his 14-year career in Japan, but said he never felt anything like what he felt on Saturday night.

Asked about his level of concern, Saito said, "I don't know. There's nothing I can do."

Saito, who has 17 saves and a 2.18 earned-run average, has said that because of his age and injury-plagued history in Japan, he has treated every start as if it could be his last. He said he didn't want Saturday to mark his end because "I didn't help the team win."
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:06 pm

There didn't seem to be a physical telltale sign based off Saito's delivery but he had some of his better stuff going last night in quite a while. Sounds like it was some kind of freak elbow tightness that was worse than usual. The report last night didn't seem as bad as what was printed in the Times in the morning.

Obviously, Broxton is the man for the foreseeable future should Saito be out for any time.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby freeling_prideful » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:51 pm

There's a report that it still hurts him today--apparently he couldn't even brush his teeth without feeling something strange with the elbow. At the minimum, this sounds like a 15-day DL stint to me. And considering that it could be something more serious, I wouldn't be surprised if he has season-ending surgery...
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jswede » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:24 pm

not as high on Broxton as some months ago.. he's been lit a few times. no doubt big time in the future though.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 am

jswede wrote:not as high on Broxton as some months ago.. he's been lit a few times. no doubt big time in the future though.

Well, aside from a couple of blowups, Broxton has been solid (especially the one vs. Houston a few months back), but it's just that Torre doesn't throw out Broxton much in non-setup situations, which could lead him to be a bit rusty. Broxton's stuff is filthy nonetheless, but there are times where his control is a bit off kilter; not that strange of a sight to see since he had been called up a couple years back.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby chaindog35 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

This is why you never pay for saves. Broxton can be a great closer from here on out. If he's available, I'd grab him. I missed out on him by 5 minutes in my league. We've got someone else who was faster to the computer.
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:48 pm

The tooth-brushing blurb bothers me, and then there's Torre saying this: "I think you've got to assume the worst." Why say that unless you're pretty sure how it'll end up?

Link to the quote:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/ ... bok14.html

So, how many people are dropping Saito? I'm having a hard time deciding on this one.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 141)

Postby kab21 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:15 pm

jackie hayes wrote:The tooth-brushing blurb bothers me, and then there's Torre saying this: "I think you've got to assume the worst." Why say that unless you're pretty sure how it'll end up?

Link to the quote:

So, how many people are dropping Saito? I'm having a hard time deciding on this one.

The MRI is today, there should be news tomorrow. Dropping him would depend on depth of league and how good the player is that you are adding. And if DL spots are available. But I don't own him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:24 pm

kab21 wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:The tooth-brushing blurb bothers me, and then there's Torre saying this: "I think you've got to assume the worst." Why say that unless you're pretty sure how it'll end up?

Link to the quote:

The MRI is today, there should be news tomorrow. Dropping him would depend on depth of league and how good the player is that you are adding. And if DL spots are available. But I don't own him.

Is the news def coming tomorrow? I thought I remember them saying it would be 'later in the week' (or something like that -- which I found confusing, since the results usually are known pretty quick).

I just want to make sure I have enough closers for the stretch run, and there's no other droppable player. I'm leaning towards axing him, but I still haven't pulled the trigger.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 141)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates