The Next big Minor League Pitching call-up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

The Next big Minor League Pitching call-up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Next big Minor League Pitching call-up

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:33 am

What about Samardzija? This is only his first year I believe but from what I hear he's doing pretty well. Maybe the Cubs give him a shot.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sunspot » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:47 am

David Price will make the biggest impact, but only if the Rays stay in the race. With their current losing streak, it looks like the magic is wearing off. If they fall out of contention, the most we will see from him is a few start cup of coffee late in the year. Personally I have started to look at young pitching differently. I had Kershaw and Scherzer and was constantly looking for the next big thing, but, lately I have found much more value in guys that are playing their second or third full years. It just seems to take time for these guys. Volquez is the best sample of this, but even a guy like Scott Baker has been much more valuable to me than Scherzer of Kershaw. Of coarse it all depends if you are going for the title this year or next year. I just might want Kershaw, Scherzer, Hughes, Price, or even Homer Bailey on my team in 1 or 2 years, but they just may not be that valuable until then. If I am in a keeper and out of contention, I might be inclined to hoard these guys, but they might not even hit the big time for two years if at all. A Fernando Valenzuela, Mark Prior (Ugh) or Francisco Liriano rookie impact don't happen very often.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Montana168 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:16 pm

well yes you are right that it usually does take a pitcher a year or two to get it but if your in a keeper/dynasty whether your in contention or not you MUST hoard those kids because someone else will just jump all over them and then when they are raking next year you'll feel like an idiot.

anyway...it says on the yahoo! players notes that the dodgers are considering recalling clayton kershaw. i've had him in my dynasty league and picked him up in my other 3 redraft leagues after reading that. i know it's not very detailed or for certain but i have said numerous times that kershaw will only make at most 3 more starts in the minors but it looks like he could be up sooner than that like i predicted. if he's available in your league i would strongly consider picking him up, especially if your free agent pool is scarce.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deanpapelbon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:21 pm

Do you like Kershaw over Volstad this year and next?
deanpapelbon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Montana168 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:29 pm

clayton kershaw is the top pitching prospect. volstad had a very impressive start but over the long run kershaw will be a much, much better pitcher than volstad will ever be.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:48 pm

They're stretching him out:

Notes: Scherzer regains early form Aug. 1, 2008
LOS ANGELES - Top pitching prospect Max Scherzer is beginning to regain the form that made him a popular subject of trade inquiries leading up to the trading deadline.

Scherzer, who missed a month with shoulder fatigue, had his best outing Thursday night since returning to the mound in mid-July for Triple-A Tucson. In three innings against New Orleans, Scherzer allowed just one hit and one walk while striking out seven.

"He was good," Diamondbacks General Manager Josh Byrnes said. "That's the best he's thrown it, really, since he came out of the rotation" in the majors in May.

"He threw the ball like he did early in the year."

In each of his four games since coming off the disabled list, Scherzer has been incrementally building his pitch count.

He threw 50 pitches on Thursday and will add about 15 pitches to his pitch count with every outing. Within a couple of weeks, his pitch count should be around 100.

He could be an option for the Diamondbacks rotation this month, although that would be only if tonight's starter, Yusmeiro Petit, struggles. Petit has allowed two runs in 11 innings in two starts this season.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... r0802.html
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ceLpH » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:24 pm

Kershaw and Scherzer should both be in the Bigs late.. especially if Dodgers/Dbacks stay in a tight race like they are in right now
http://cashcrate.com/408420

^easy money by filling out referrals and surveys
ceLpH
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby COOPERSTOWN » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:07 pm

with oakland trading away much of there veterans, how about gio gonzalez...just picked him up hoping a few stretch run starts in pitcher friendly home park
"... "Ugliness" and "Fatness" are genetic disorders, much like baldness or necrophilia, and it's only your fault if you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it!" - My Mom
COOPERSTOWN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kevinss2001 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:43 pm

COOPERSTOWN wrote:with oakland trading away much of there veterans, how about gio gonzalez...just picked him up hoping a few stretch run starts in pitcher friendly home park

i like him, but they said he was going to be called up a month ago-i am just leaving him out there till he gets the call
kevinss2001
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:53 pm

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Gio Gonzalez is "a strong candidate" to be called up from Triple-A to start Thursday.
It would be the 22-year-old southpaw's major league debut. The A's had been planning on Dan Meyer making the start, but he threw four innings out of the bullpen Monday, leaving Lenny DiNardo as the only other candidate on the roster. Acquired from the White Sox in the Nick Swisher deal, Gonzalez is one of the game's better left-handed pitching prospects and has 128 strikeouts in 123 innings at Triple-A, but his 68 walks make it unlikely that he's ready to thrive in the majors yet.

I'll definitely keep my eye on him, but I wouldn't roster him just yet with that poor K/BB ratio.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates