Scott Baker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Baker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scott Baker

Postby sandman042 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:58 pm

No1 seems to be talking about this guy in this forum. He has outstanding minor league numbers and had good numberspost allstar break last yr. he carrying it over this yr and is picther great. He has 6 consecutive quality starts. Ur thoughts ??
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Scott Baker

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:45 pm

He's a great option IMO.

His only problem is susceptibility to the homer. Outside of the two he gave up today against Detroit he looked real good. Doesn't really have the name value right now either so he can probably be bought cheap.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:14 pm

I remember early on in the season someone told me he was waiver wire material, but as you mentioned, sandman, Baker has only carried his ability over from last year. Granted, he's been a lot more consistent this year (3 ER or less in all but 2 of his starts) and he can eat up some innings when he's on a roll. Even though he was injured for a month, his K's and wins put him in co-ace tandem with Slowey on the Twins. If Liriano comes up and returns to form the White Sox are going to have a tough second half holding off the young arms of Baker/Slowey/Liriano/Blackburn and Perkins. Livan Hernandez is just glad to be there.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby pangbones » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:17 am

I drafted him in 2 leagues, one a 10 teamer the other a 16 teamer. I kept him in both while he was hurt, and couldn't be happier about it. He's not overpowering, he's not gonna lead the league in K's, he's just a solid pitcher. He's been very consistent this year, and his K/9 is at 7.58 which is up a full point from last year. He's prone to the long ball which has been mentioned already, but he's not walking anyone either. I don't think he's ever going to be a fantasy ace or anything, but he's a great backend of the rotation guy to own. And I don't think he's reached his ceiling yet either.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Spartans Rule » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Great outing today even though he lost... perfect through 5 2/3, just gave up the one homer.

Very underrated IMO. 6-3, 3.26 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 76 K, 15 BB in 91 IP. Those numbers are excellent.

The HRs are a problem, but this type of pitcher does well in 5x5 and most fantasy formats... even if his ERA were to go up a bit, his WHIP should stay good and he can keep his PC down to go deep in games and get wins. And the Twins have a great pen to help with that.

I'd say he's a legit #2 or #3 fantasy starter right now in a typical league, and he's only owned in 47% of ESPN leagues.

I kinda hope he can stay under the radar until next year so I can get him cheap again, but I have a feeling he's going to finish strong and be a hot pick by next season.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guzman24 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:34 pm

I was just about to make my own Scott Baker thread. I've been watching QS after QS by Baker since the beginning of June. Too bad they've all been with him on my bench!!

I really need to find a way to get him into my lineup. He's been excellent so far this year.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby pangbones » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:35 am

Another impressive performance by Baker. Too bad I traded him for Thome!! :-t At least his last start for me was a beauty!! ;-D

His increased K's is what has really made him a great pitcher this year. I do think he's going to tail off some, but as I said before, he's a very good backend of the rotation starter.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby bigwords » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:50 pm

I was the one who called Shaun Marcum the "Super Super Sleeper of 2008."

viewtopic.php?t=319776

In that thread, I also gave high, high praise to Scott Baker and Justin Duchscherer.

To which someone replied, "Look I don't know of his prediction last year, but what I do know is that he just said that he was considering Scott baker as a "Super Super Sleeper". Scott Baker??? Scott Baker just does not cut it. Shaun Marcum had a solid year last year, a late round flier type. But Baker???"

Anyway, not looking for a pat on the back. Just wanted to affirm that his breakout is indeed real.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Can we call him Scott Baker the Playmaker?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jswede » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:36 pm

bigwords wrote:I was the one who called Shaun Marcum the "Super Super Sleeper of 2008."

viewtopic.php?t=319776

In that thread, I also gave high, high praise to Scott Baker and Justin Duchscherer.

To which someone replied, "Look I don't know of his prediction last year, but what I do know is that he just said that he was considering Scott baker as a "Super Super Sleeper". Scott Baker??? Scott Baker just does not cut it. Shaun Marcum had a solid year last year, a late round flier type. But Baker???"

Anyway, not looking for a pat on the back. Just wanted to affirm that his breakout is indeed real.

well you'll get a "pat" anyway: good calls! ;-D
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers