Is Dave Bush Relevant Again? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Dave Bush Relevant Again?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Dave Bush Relevant Again?

Postby rotoquest » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:19 pm

Has anyone been keeping an eye on this guy?
Last 42 innings: ERA 2.14 WHIP 0.88 WINS 3 K's 35

Has Dr. Jeckyll turned his career around and headed back in the right direction or is this a tease and he reverts back to Mr. Hyde as soon as you pick him up?
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Dave Bush Relevant Again?

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:47 pm

He's definitely worth owning right now, gotta love a starter who has pitched 7+ innings in 4 of his last 5 starts, with 3 of them being 8 innings.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:09 pm

He's always been kind of an enigma to me. His whip besides last year has always been respectable, he never walked a ton of batters, but his win totals and ERA never fell in line.

I was high on him before last season and he disappointed. But i'm willing to give him a shot again. He's got a decent K rate, doesn't walk alot of batters and plays for a team that can put up some points. I hope he's turned his "career corner" as cbs.sports suggested.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:14 pm

Philliebuster wrote:He's always been kind of an enigma to me. His whip besides last year has always been respectable, he never walked a ton of batters, but his win totals and ERA never fell in line.

I was high on him before last season and he disappointed. But i'm willing to give him a shot again. He's got a decent K rate, doesn't walk alot of batters and plays for a team that can put up some points. I hope he's turned his "career corner" as cbs.sports suggested.

It's alot easier to give him a shot now that he's just a waiver wire pickup as opposed to a mid teens draft pick after published fantasy writers hyped him up as one before the '07 season. !+)
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ender » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:34 am

Pitch him at home, bench him on the road except against terrible offenses. that is my motto.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:03 am

Ender wrote:Pitch him at home, bench him on the road except against terrible offenses. that is my motto.

Bingo, his home/road splits are ridiculous. At this point it's a simple formula -- very worthwhile to have in his home games, but sit him on the road.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stumpak » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:48 am

He is relevant again, but don't carried away. His problem of giving up the "big inning" will always be there, which is why his ERA never quite equates to what his peripherals indicate (otherwise known as the Bonderman/Vazquez disease, perhaps attributable to degraded performance when pitching out of the stretch). He is on a good streak now, but will get blasted for 7 runs in an inning sooner or later.

A good expectation is an ERA of ~4.50 (crappy) a ~1.25 WHIP (good) and an acceptable K rate. This probably makes him rosterable in deeper leagues, but very borderline in anything less than a 12 team format.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:54 am

Perhaps he's turned the corner, perhaps he's just have a long stroke of luck like Jose Contreras did earlier this season. Either way, no one has made an offer for him in the very deep NL-only league I'm in. It seems it'll take another month of similar production to convince the skeptics.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby rotoquest » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:38 pm

Well platooning a starter is not quite the endorsement. How does he keep his arm strong pitching every 2 weeks.

CBSSportsline: The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Brewers manager Ned Yost is considering platooning SPs Seth McClung and Dave Bush in the No. 5 spot in the pitching rotation, depending on if the team is at home or on the road. Bush, who is 4-2, with a 2.49 ERA at Miller Park would start the home games, and McClung would start on the road, mainly because Bush is 1-6, with 6.95 ERA away from Milwaukee. "I think it makes sense," Yost said. "I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. All I'm trying to do is give us the best chance to win every day. ... I'm trying to do what's smart."
(Updated 07/14/2008).
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby shoelessjoetara » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:49 pm

I am sure that they will give him bullpen sessions when he should pitch on away games and he may see action out of the bullpen also. I just picked him up so Yost doing this helps with the decision of taking the chance on away games with him where he is terrible. Him starting at home always is a good thing.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers