Multiple Relievers Instead of a 6th Starter - Thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Multiple Relievers Instead of a 6th Starter - Thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Multiple Relievers Instead of a 6th Starter - Thoughts?

Postby ldmariodl28 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:59 am

So I am sick and tired of picking up a starter (like slowey most recently) and watching them just kill my ERA & WHIP, so I have moved to a multiple MR strategy to make up for only having 5 starters. 3 MR's would be equivilant to 1 SP but with a better ERA & WHIP than anyone I could ever get off the WW. What is your thoughts on this strategy for Rotis.

This is my pitching staff as I write this

SP - Nolasco, Chamberlan, Lackey, Hudson, Duchsherer
MR - Bucholtz, Belfour, Bell
CP - Ryan, Soria, Wheeler
DL - Marcum
ldmariodl28
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Multiple Relievers Instead of a 6th Starter - Thoughts?

Postby mbuser » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:08 pm

this has been discussed at length previously, so you may want to try search - one of the bigger downsides is that you are giving up depth everywhere else to rotate in those MR
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kab21 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:20 pm

I have an army of MR's in my 20 team league. The problem is that you take up 2 roster spots instead of one to get the same innings as SP. But you get better WHIP and ERA while vulturing some W's and S's. On the plus side you also roster some guys that are an injury away from being closers (and very valuable).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby Maris09 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:44 am

ldmariodl28 wrote:MR - Bucholtz, Belfour, Bell
CP - Ryan, Soria, Wheeler

When using this strategy, I think it's important to have more than 2 current legit closers. You need to win Saves, since you know you're probably losing Wins and K's each week.
Right now you're dedicating 6 pitchers slots to RP's, and only 2 are legitimate current closers.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Field » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:55 am

I think now is the time of year to impliment such a startegy especially if a few of your starters have gone down with injury. Most fantasy rosters have stabilized and the late round fliers/ww pickups have either panned out or not so you should have a pretty good idea of who's worth hanging on to and who to drop.

I've had Marcum and McGowan go down recently and I've just been scouring the free agent pool for potential closers. I currently have Gregg, Soria, CJ Wilson, Morrow, Corpas and Broxton rostered in my 12 teamer.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby stumpak » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:24 am

Provided your league format provides enough roster spots to make this viable, it is a very good approach. Ratios and K rate will be superb and the W/IP will be similar or perhaps better than a crappy WW SP (if we are talking roto). Plus, there is chance that one of your 3 set-up guys willl wind up as a closer at some point, and you will get the occasional vulture save in the meantime.

The downside is that eventually everyone else in your league will catch on and adopt the same approach (if you play with the same format every year) and good RPs will start to become scarce, but if you are an early adapter, you can really score an advantage.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers