Thoughts on Volstad.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Volstad....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on Volstad....

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:41 am

King Tim wrote:Volstad could be a stud if he had a great defense behind him, but the Marlins infields sucks with the D so I see Volstad as a #3-4. With a solid D and pitching in that park, he could be a stud.

I don't think he has the velocity (Volstad is in the low 90's) nor an awesome out pitch (Roy Halladay or Brandon Webb's sinker) that aces without great velocity have. We'll see though.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 am

Havok1517 wrote:
rjforlife wrote:i think he is naming busts......

How can Bailey, Scherzer, and Balaster be considered busts? They are all still rookies and I have no idea which Jackson he is refering to. If that is what he is saying thats just ignorance.

I didn't call them busts, you and Havok did. I named a bunch of guys that got heavy press in articles and/or this cafe and people clamored over each other to get most of them. None of them worked out -so far-, despite the countless drops, waiver claims, and sometimes poor decisions to get them. With the way this thread was started people sounded as if Volstad was going to be the next big thing. I only made a small point so that people shouldn't get too excited based on what has gone on in the past.

Edwin Jackson was whom I was referring to and yes, people thought highly of him when he first got called up. Yusmeiro Petit didn't get the same press as, say, Bailey or Foppert, but he got the same conclusion of Volstad as a #2/3 starter. Same kind of stuff as in minimal K's but with off speed material. Expect the same kind of output that Petit delivered when he first came up: so-so starts and horrid starts.

Perhaps I'll include a few more words in my future posts so that you guys don't have to make things up. I'll lay off watching Rockies/Mets games and making posts concurrently next time.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 110)

Postby stumpak » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:09 am

mbuser wrote:a high WHIP and low strikeout rate certainly would balance any positive effect from some wins. he gave up 193 hits in 168.2 innings last season in A/AA (1.42 WHIP). moving forward, i see a few really bad outings making up for a few good ones
\

Exactly, I would not fool around with this guy, the BB/K rate this year in AAA is abysmal. My cardinal rule that if I am going to roll the dice with a high-risk pitcher that might blow up my ratios, I make sure that he at least has a good K rate to mititgate the downside risk a little.

Volstad looks a bit like roto cryptonite - bad WHIP, average ERA at best, weak K rate and maybe a decent W rate. And that is the upside. Downside could be a complete train wreck. There are less risky guys on the WW for those desperate for SP help.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:15 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

How can Bailey, Scherzer, and Balaster be considered busts? They are all still rookies and I have no idea which Jackson he is refering to. If that is what he is saying thats just ignorance.

I didn't call them busts, you and Havok did. I named a bunch of guys that got heavy press in articles and/or this cafe and people clamored over each other to get most of them. None of them worked out -so far-, despite the countless drops, waiver claims, and sometimes poor decisions to get them. With the way this thread was started people sounded as if Volstad was going to be the next big thing. I only made a small point so that people shouldn't get too excited based on what has gone on in the past.

Edwin Jackson was whom I was referring to and yes, people thought highly of him when he first got called up. Yusmeiro Petit didn't get the same press as, say, Bailey or Foppert, but he got the same conclusion of Volstad as a #2/3 starter. Same kind of stuff as in minimal K's but with off speed material. Expect the same kind of output that Petit delivered when he first came up: so-so starts and horrid starts.

Perhaps I'll include a few more words in my future posts so that you guys don't have to make things up. I'll lay off watching Rockies/Mets games and making posts concurrently next time.

I actually asked if your previous post could be explained and someone said that that was what they thought you meant. No worries.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby godallahstar » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:29 pm

I have a very different opinion on him.

he's 6'7, throws a hard sinking fastball that gets lots of true easy to handle grounders and very weak contact.
he flashes a plus change up,
and a plus curve that sits in the high 70's/low 80's with a nice snap.
all with a fairly clean and effortless delivery.

.. how exactly does that equate to a #3/4?

he's 21 and pitching in the majors.
he would even be young for AAA.
of course there is going to be some inconsistency.

he's got a projectable frame and he could easily add some velocity.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rjforlife » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:09 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Dont get your panties in a bundle....you said they havent worked out so far and thats basically what a bust is. it was never meant as an attack on you personally or your knowledge of baseball. havok and I were just discussing some of the names mentioned and wondering how they related to volstad. it would help to add a little to your posts though....if you made this most recent post first it would have avoided this confusion and been a very solid addition to the thread. sorry for the confusion sir, carry on. ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 771)

Postby vlat89 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:17 pm

His ability to eat innings via the sinking fastball are what makes him valuable. Check his first start. His two start status for week 17 is very enticing.
vlat89
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:44 pm

Right on, Rj and Havok, I know I should've written more. I guess you could call some of them busts if you compare their current output with some of the hype built around them, but I think many of them, including Volstad, could turn it around anytime (Edwin Jackson already had his resurgence, sorta). Just wanted to add that little more, though, to explain my case. Movin' on..
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 110)

Postby willy-t » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:01 pm

I dont think anybody is saying Volstad is the next scot kazmir, he's a decent mid tier prospect that could maybe be useful. I picked him up but he has basically no value in any league at the moiment and he's border line waiver material.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby godallahstar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:42 pm

so no one else thinks he's a very solid prospect with #2 potential?
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers