Thoughts on Volstad.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Volstad....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Volstad....

Postby tomahawks » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:04 am

They say his stuff if FILTHY. If he continues to pich well will he stay up or is this just temporary?
tomahawks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Volstad....

Postby checkers » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:02 am

absolutely incredible in his 1st start although against the weak bats Dodgers.. he's taking the spot from Mark Hendrickson .. I'd say he's gonna be in the rotation 2nd half ... maybe on innings pitch limit ? .. unless he really stinks otherwise I see him in the big league...
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:46 am

As a Marlin #1 pick in 2005 you have to like the chances of hjim stying around. His minor league numbers aren't bad at all and show that he is a winner.

Do you have anything linkable that shows he will take an SP slot?

I need SP depth and this kid fits the mold for me in my keeper.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 281)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby checkers » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:02 am

Rotoworld
Chris Volstad – RHP Marlins – The 16th overall pick in the 2005 draft out of a Florida high school, Volstad has looked like a potential big league starter since the minute he walked onto the field. The big 6'7" right-hander has had success at pretty much every level since signing, and he was posting a 3.36 ERA and 56/30 K/BB in 91 innings for Double-A Carolina before his promotion. While the strikeout rate isn't impressive, it's important to keep in mind that Volstad is a heavy-groundball pitcher thanks to his plus sinker and tall frame. It's difficult to square the ball coming from such a tall release point, and Volstad's natural action on his sinker makes it even more difficult to hit hard. As a result he's getting more than twice as many outs on the ground compared to through the air, and he's yet to allow a homer this season.

Still just 21 years old, the Marlins are jumping Volstad from Double-A straight to the majors. He'll move into the rotation on Sunday, and he'll stay there as long as he remains an average or so starter. He's not as good of a bet in fantasy leagues due to his lack of strikeouts and high WHIP, and I don't think he's ready to contribute much yet. Volstad will surely start giving up some long balls in the majors, and while his sinker is a plus, his curveball and changeup aren't. Throw in a very poor infield defense behind him, and he's likely in for a rough time. He's worth a flier if you're desperate for innings, but Volstad will probably be overrated initially. He should develop into a No. 3 starter in time, so he is worth stashing away.

CBS
News: Florida starter Chris Volstad pitched in just his second game for the Marlins on the year on Friday against the Dodgers. He's now 2-0. Volstad gave up five hits and one run in 8 2/3 innings of work and needed just 100 pitches. He walked one and struck out six. His ERA is 0.84 in two games -- one start and one relief appearance.

Analysis: Don't overreact, but Volstad is definitely a viable Fantasy starter from here on out unless he collapses for the Marlins. After two very successful performances, he's earned the right to keep pitching every fifth day for the Marlins. Consider him an NL-only starter with an upside that could make him viable in across all formats by the end of the season.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks. I am a CBS player in the keeper league and take their analysis with many grains of salt.

The Marlins are a great organization and I think Volstad is worth a shot. I'll take 6 more wins over 12 more starts or so.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 281)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby mbuser » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 am

a high WHIP and low strikeout rate certainly would balance any positive effect from some wins. he gave up 193 hits in 168.2 innings last season in A/AA (1.42 WHIP). moving forward, i see a few really bad outings making up for a few good ones
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby freeling_prideful » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:09 pm

He's actually not all that filthy, if you look at his terrible strikeout rate (at least, terrible for a "top" pitching prospect). What he does possess is a very good sinker, but it's not a ridiculous Webb-type sinker. Think of him more as Florida's younger version of Aaron Cook--a guy who can definitely put up 3.75-4.00 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, but will not strike many people out and will never be a true No. 1 starter.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:00 pm

I wouldn't overreact. To me, he doesn't have the tangibles to be a great pitcher nor the track record in the minors. Plus, it takes awhile for majors leaguers to catch up to younger guys especially those that are 6'7.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=355737&p=2822759&hilit=+volstad#p2822759
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby DbacksRback » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:13 am

I wont bring back the other thread but i met him in spring training and he was very nice with everone i was impressed with him and Nolasco while i was there :-?

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:28 am

relief appearance after throwing into the 9th just 2 days before? what is going on?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers