Steroids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steroids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steroids

Postby TriplePlay » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:21 pm

With all the steroid talk thats going on, what kind of effect do you think it will have on players like bonds, sheff, and giambi. Do you think theyll be able to put up their usual numbers or do you think it will take its toll on them having to answer these questions all season long?
TriplePlay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:44 am

Well the talk really got started last year and no one hit 50 homeruns, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I haven't changed my rankings for anyone due to the steroid issue though. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:09 am

Madison wrote:Well the talk really got started last year and no one hit 50 homeruns, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Hrs by MLB have been down a bit, mostly due to the influx of good young arms imo. People say roids is the answer, but is it? The 4 guys most believed to take them, Bonds, Sheffield, Boone, Giambi, actually have hit more, not less.

Bonds
02 46
03 45

Giambi
02 41
03 41

Sheffield
02 25
03 39

Boone
02 24
03 35
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby mtarail » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:28 am

I agree with Madison 100% on his point of not downgrading your relative player rankings.

I've heard a lot of people on this site laboring under the belief that Bonds/Giambi/Sosa/Sheffield are on roids. That may or may not be true. But even if it is, the analysis of player value shouldn't stop there. Names like Giambi and Sosa are thrown around because they sell newspapers and airtime. But the simple fact is that if those guys are on steroids most of the sluggers in this league are probably on them too--and maybe even non-power hitters. So the whole league will react to the steroid issue together.

Assuming that the steroid issue has any statistical effect on major league baseball, (which itself I think is going out on a limb), it is almost impossible to predict HOW it will play out in fantasy ball.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:00 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Madison wrote:Well the talk really got started last year and no one hit 50 homeruns, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Hrs by MLB have been down a bit, mostly due to the influx of good young arms imo. People say roids is the answer, but is it? The 4 guys most believed to take them, Bonds, Sheffield, Boone, Giambi, actually have hit more, not less.

Bonds
02 46
03 45

Giambi
02 41
03 41

Sheffield
02 25
03 39

Boone
02 24
03 35

I do agree that a lot of good young arms have come into baseball recently :-) . I don't believe that the steroid issue is the only reason for the decline in hr's, just that it really started last year with the testing and for the first time in a long time, no one hit 50 homeruns. The steroid issue is just one of the contributing factors. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers