deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: clay buchholz

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:24 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Cain or Buch in the second half? :-?

Cain
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Yoda wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Cain or Buch in the second half? :-?

Cain

agree
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 pm

I'd probably go Cain as well, but the Wins will be in favor of Buchholz I would think...
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:32 am

Kingctb27 wrote:Hey, say what you want about the Avatar, but I'm not biased to Buchholz because he plays for the Red Sox.

I hear you king, I'm just busting your chops a little. ;-)

Yoda wrote:I see your point about Joba but I'm not sure if I agree. I've watched most of his starts and what he is lacking is consistency right now, hence the high number of BB's that usually come in bunches. Also, a lot of the hits he's been giving up are just great hitting by someone or weakly hit bloopers and singles that fall in. So he puts a fair number of men on base but because he is so dominant, he's able to get out of trouble: i.e. Kazmir, Wood, Lincecum, or any young dominant pitchers with a high K rate and WHIP.

I think Joba will continue to improve and we'll start seeing more great outings versus crappy ones.

Wow, very well put. That more or less sums up yesterday's outing (without the walks, of course ;-D ).

Joba gave up 7 hits yesterday, but those 7 included a bleeder by Lind, a bunt single by Inglett that Posada underhanded into right field (maybe the ugliest play I've seen all year, btw), Wilkerson's bloop to center, and Lind's "double" which was actually a routine popup that Cano lost in the ceiling.

It was also very encouraging to see the 0BB. They've never been a huge problem for him in the past, and I think his recent struggles with them have more to do with the transition from bullpen (where he could try to strike everyone out) to the rotation (where he needs to pitch to contact a little more). I wouldn't be surprised if his WHIP falls into the mid to low 1.2s by the end of the season.

I would say that it's not even worth trying to figure who's going to be the better pitcher between Joba or Clay. They're both very good, and I'd be happy with either. Right now I have Joba, so that's who I'll be rolling with.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:17 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Kingctb27 wrote:Hey, say what you want about the Avatar, but I'm not biased to Buchholz because he plays for the Red Sox.

I hear you king, I'm just busting your chops a little. ;-)

Yoda wrote:I see your point about Joba but I'm not sure if I agree. I've watched most of his starts and what he is lacking is consistency right now, hence the high number of BB's that usually come in bunches. Also, a lot of the hits he's been giving up are just great hitting by someone or weakly hit bloopers and singles that fall in. So he puts a fair number of men on base but because he is so dominant, he's able to get out of trouble: i.e. Kazmir, Wood, Lincecum, or any young dominant pitchers with a high K rate and WHIP.

I think Joba will continue to improve and we'll start seeing more great outings versus crappy ones.

Wow, very well put. That more or less sums up yesterday's outing (without the walks, of course ;-D ).

Joba gave up 7 hits yesterday, but those 7 included a bleeder by Lind, a bunt single by Inglett that Posada underhanded into right field (maybe the ugliest play I've seen all year, btw), Wilkerson's bloop to center, and Lind's "double" which was actually a routine popup that Cano lost in the ceiling.

It was also very encouraging to see the 0BB. They've never been a huge problem for him in the past, and I think his recent struggles with them have more to do with the transition from bullpen (where he could try to strike everyone out) to the rotation (where he needs to pitch to contact a little more). I wouldn't be surprised if his WHIP falls into the mid to low 1.2s by the end of the season.

I would say that it's not even worth trying to figure who's going to be the better pitcher between Joba or Clay. They're both very good, and I'd be happy with either. Right now I have Joba, so that's who I'll be rolling with.

Agreed. Both have a great future ahead of them...
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby dorje3 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:00 pm

so, what's going to happen to buchholz? is he really losing his spot in the rotation to Byrd?
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 pm

They are tweaking his delivery right now, hoping to make his arm angle more consistent.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:20 pm

It was stupid to tinker with his delivery in the middle of the season. I hate it when teams do that.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Old_Style » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:48 pm

dorje3 wrote:so, what's going to happen to buchholz? is he really losing his spot in the rotation to Byrd?

Sounds like Byrd taking Buchholz's spot is a done deal.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers