clay buchholz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

clay buchholz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

clay buchholz

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:43 pm

Just wanted to start a thread regarding this young, super prospect since he is due to pitch against the O's tonight. They've adjusted his mechanics so that he can get better movement/control on his fastball. His bread and butter pitch is his amazing change up, which is proven to be a deadly pitch if thrown correctly: i.e. Johan, Hamels, Shields, etc. Also has a plus curve and with the big club, he tends to throw his secondary offerings (53.3%) more often than his fastball (46.7%). Check out Fangraph.

He has been dominant at AAA although not quite to the 07 level. As with most young pitcher learning his craft, he will hit some bumps on the road but I'd like to see some projections for the remainder of the 08 season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: clay buchholz

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:09 pm

13-14 or so starts, 1.20 WHIP (Assuming he still has some trouble with the walks every now and then), 3.40 ERA, 85 IP, 93 K's.

Note to Joba owners. Trade him for Buchholz now. I've always said that he's a better pitcher and you won't have to worry about his WHIP being so bad with Joba still getting accustomed the the new role of pitching 100 times a game.

It's Buchholz' time to lock down that #3 spot for the Red Sox (Although I think he's probably going to be as good as Beckett from here on out and in the future.)
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Polar Bear » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:14 pm

Note to Joba owners. Trade him for Buchholz now. I've always said that he's a better pitcher and you won't have to worry about his WHIP being so bad with Joba still getting accustomed the the new role of pitching 100 times a game.

Jeepers! I wouldn't go that far. Joba is going to be solid as well. Uunless one gets injured I think they will have similar careers with Joba.

I see Clay going .500. I think he will struggle after his first start. He will be much more consistent in September and aid the Sox in another run at the pennant.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Kingctb27 wrote:Note to Joba owners. Trade him for Buchholz now.

You can't tell me what to do, Mr Red Sox Avatar Guy. :-D

I'll take my chances with Joba, thank you very much...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:37 pm

If the Yankees fall further behind in the standings you have to think they'd shut Joba down during the fantasy stretch run. Falling behind is not quite their MO, but protecting Joba is.
A couple ESPN fantasy guys have said the same thing, about Clay > Joba over the second half. Yeah yeah ESPN is no good, whatever, but the opinion exists elsewhere.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:46 pm

I actually like both Joba and Clay for the second half. It will take some time for Joba to get acclimated to pitching as a starter and he's only pitched a handful of games at this level. He'll definitely take his lumps but he is so dominant and improved so quickly that I have little doubts about him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:05 pm

Hey, say what you want about the Avatar, but I'm not biased to Buchholz because he plays for the Red Sox. It's a matter of (As yoda pointed out) that Joba hasn't been a starter in almost a year, and let's face it but he can't continue to have that horrible WHIP and get guys out like he has been.

It's not a knock on Joba at all because I like him alot as well and depending on how his pitches and demeanor develop he could be better than Clay on a long term basis, but at this point you have to like Buchholz, IMO.

That hammer curve is always going to be an awesome out pitch for Buchholz and while Joba's slider is great as well, I just don't think he knows how to use it as well as Clay can with the hammer...
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Kingctb27 wrote:Hey, say what you want about the Avatar, but I'm not biased to Buchholz because he plays for the Red Sox. It's a matter of (As yoda pointed out) that Joba hasn't been a starter in almost a year, and let's face it but he can't continue to have that horrible WHIP and get guys out like he has been.

It's not a knock on Joba at all because I like him alot as well and depending on how his pitches and demeanor develop he could be better than Clay on a long term basis, but at this point you have to like Buchholz, IMO.

That hammer curve is always going to be an awesome out pitch for Buchholz and while Joba's slider is great as well, I just don't think he knows how to use it as well as Clay can with the hammer...

I see your point about Joba but I'm not sure if I agree. I've watched most of his starts and what he is lacking is consistency right now, hence the high number of BB's that usually come in bunches. Also, a lot of the hits he's been giving up are just great hitting by someone or weakly hit bloopers and singles that fall in. So he puts a fair number of men on base but because he is so dominant, he's able to get out of trouble: i.e. Kazmir, Wood, Lincecum, or any young dominant pitchers with a high K rate and WHIP.

I think Joba will continue to improve and we'll start seeing more great outings versus crappy ones.

As far as Buchholz is concerned, it will come down to his fastball. Hitters will simply sit on his fastball and hammer it if he is not consistent with it.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:20 pm

Someone watching the game fill us in here, but it looks as if Buchholz has certainly settle down since he gave up 2 runs in the 1st. 3 hits and 5 Ks through 4.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Yeah, I have the game on MLBTV and like I said before that Hammer is just a sexy pitch. It just breaks soooooooooooo much... 1st inning he struggled with some control issues, but has settled in nicely since then.

STUD!
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers