Need Input on Keeper League Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need Input on Keeper League Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need Input on Keeper League Rules

Postby kfix19 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:11 am

This is what my league looks like right now:

1) Each owner gets to Keep 3 players
2) When we draft - when a player from your roster is drafted you get to Keep another player
We do this for the first 5 rounds and then go to normal drafting
3) 1st round of the draft goes 5-12 then 4-1 to reward the team that just misses the playoffs
4) 2nd round goes 12-1 and then we snake back and continue that pattern
5) This is a money league
6) Head-to-Head scoring
7) 1 player for each fielding position and 1 DH with 5 SP and 1 RP

The teams that finished near the bottom did not improve much with this draft process and I need to change it. There are no limits to how long you can Keep a player either.

I was thinking about changing the number of players each team can keep. something where the 4 playoff teams continue to keep 3 - teams 5-8 can keep 4 - team 9-12 can keep 5. You wouldn't have to keep this many, but it gives you the chance to pick up or trade for younger talent and keep them. I also think the draft order should go 12-1 every round with no snake.

Can you please offer your advice. Personal Messaging me your league bilaws or rules would be very helpful also. I appreciate you help and I will offer my advice to any posts you have also.
kfix19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need Input on Keeper League Rules

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:19 am

This is the same question you asked a month ago: viewtopic.php?f=189&t=352075&p=2797840#p2797840
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:33 am

Does you second rule mean that you get more than 3 keepers? So are you saying, "before the draft, each team has three untouchables. And then during the draft, if a team drafts one of the other unkept guys from your last year's roster, you get to announce a 4th untouchable."

If that's what you're saying, then that's a very big advantage to the contenders. It's only natural that the best teams would have more guys that are keeper worthy, so they will own the first players drafted, which gets them yet another keeper. If one of your guys is the first pick in the draft, you essentially get to make the second pick in the draft. You're limited to your own roster, but if you weren't meant to make a draft pick until number 12 and now you get to pick second, that's pretty unfair.

Then rule number 3. You're rewarding number 5, but you're punishing 10, 11, 12. Why is the 12th place guy getting the 8th pick and the 6th place guy getting the 2nd pick? Why not make it 5, 12-6, 4-1? You already have likely the top 20 players off the board because of the 3 keepers, and probably the top 25.

If my understanding of rule number 2 and 3 above is correct, the 12th place team will have nothing of value left by the time he picks because 14 more players have been taken off the table by the time he picks. He's screwed.

If my understanding of rule 2 is correct, eliminate it. If people keep three players, they keep three players. They have no more right to the remaining guys on their roster.

You didn't mention whether you had a price schedule for keepers, so I will assume not. What this means is that everyone's first 3 draft picks are their keepers. Some teams will have three top 15 players and will be psyched with their picks. Other teams will have only one top 30 pick and will be forced to keep guys that aren't really worth the spot. You can add an option to NOT keep players, so the guys with very weak keepers are able to leap ahead of round 1 and get the top players who should have been kept but were on a stacked team.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kfix19 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:52 am

You can add an option to NOT keep players, so the guys with very weak keepers are able to leap ahead of round 1 and get the top players who should have been kept but were on a stacked team.[/quote]

I agree with this. I am thinking of increasing the number of keepers a team can have and using this theory.

That way if everyteam keeps 5 excepts for a few teams with weak rosters, they can choose to keep less players and get in return a better draft pick.
kfix19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:24 am

kfix19 wrote:You can add an option to NOT keep players, so the guys with very weak keepers are able to leap ahead of round 1 and get the top players who should have been kept but were on a stacked team.

I agree with this. I am thinking of increasing the number of keepers a team can have and using this theory.

That way if everyteam keeps 5 excepts for a few teams with weak rosters, they can choose to keep less players and get in return a better draft pick.[/quote]

My leagues all use some variation of the 5-8 12-9 draft. Its supposed to keep everyone active until the last week or two of the season, since there is always something to play for. I dont like the extra loss= extra keeper option along with that, since by the time the last place team drafts the top 8 players are now gone. Maybe let those take-backs come at the end of each round, that would keep some players on the board longer.

Here is the thing though, your 12-9 teams SHOULDNT need the draft to improve. In a limited keeper pool they should be making deals for keepers late in the season (unless you have a really early trade deadline).
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner