Mariano Rivera to START All-Star Game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariano Rivera to START All-Star Game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mariano Rivera to START All-Star Game?

Postby zhutou » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:29 am

i will throw up if cliff lee starts the asg. it has to be halladay.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:57 am

zhutou wrote:i will throw up if cliff lee starts the asg. it has to be halladay.

I won't, because I can actually see the argument behind Lee starting. He's pitched very well over the last 3 months.

However, I do agree that it should be Halladay, partly because he is a "star" and a far more recognizable figure than Lee, his long track record of success, and also because of his lead in the categories I mentioned. 7 CG at the AS break is an absolutely insane pace considering what pitching has become. The last time anybody got even more than 10 in the majors was in 1999 with Randy Johnson (12).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:04 am

Have you guys heard the ASG commercials? They are 100% focused on the Yankee Stadium thing. I say there is a 75% chance they let Rivera pitch the first inning just for that reason.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:25 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:Have you guys heard the ASG commercials? They are 100% focused on the Yankee Stadium thing. I say there is a 75% chance they let Rivera pitch the first inning just for that reason.

It just doesn't make much sense to me, he isn't a starter. I mean, what if the AL is leading going into the 9th? The Yankees fans want Papelbon to close out the last All-Star game in the stadium?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:31 am

He doesn't deserve it. His numbers sure as hell dont justify him being the SP in the ASG. Yeah, hes got a nice ERA, but he has half the saves Krod does and guys like Lee and Halliday are putting together far more impressive seasons... Just cause hes a Yankee it shouldnt mean anything.

Hell, maybe he will get Cito'd..
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:20 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:Have you guys heard the ASG commercials? They are 100% focused on the Yankee Stadium thing. I say there is a 75% chance they let Rivera pitch the first inning just for that reason.

0% chance. MLB and Francona have stated it is not happening. This whole story is from the imaginative minds that are employed by the NY Post.

And you really think Francona would be swayed by an ASG commercial? I dont think that has any weight whatsoever.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:46 am

I think it would be a fantastic idea... it would be a cool way to honor a classy HOF pitcher in the final season at Yankee stadium and it would generate a ton of interest for a game that a lot of people simply don't care about it. I understand what people are saying about wanting Mariano to close out the game, but there's a huge possibility that opportunity doesn't happen. To pull if off, Francona would have to state explicitly that it will be a one-inning deal no matter what, but I don't see the problem there.

All that said, it'll never happen... and since it won't, it should be Cliff Lee in my opinion. Halladay is almost as good a choice and I bet he'll get the nod, and Duchscherer has a pretty good argument himself, so there's no wrong answer there.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:27 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:He doesn't deserve it. His numbers sure as hell dont justify him being the SP in the ASG. Yeah, hes got a nice ERA, but he has half the saves Krod does...

Why was Krod even brought into this conversation? Mo's ERA is lower than Krod's WHIP, and he has more K's in fewer IP than Frankie. So what if he only has 2/3 the number of saves? He's yet to blow one.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing Halladay, Lee, or Mo in the first. They've all been tremendous so far this year, and a case can be made for all 3.

Just cause hes a Yankee it shouldnt mean anything.

That's not what Francona thinks. Otherwise he never would have mentioned it as a scenario.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:He doesn't deserve it. His numbers sure as hell dont justify him being the SP in the ASG. Yeah, hes got a nice ERA, but he has half the saves Krod does...

Why was Krod even brought into this conversation? Mo's ERA is lower than Krod's WHIP, and he has more K's in fewer IP than Frankie. So what if he only has 2/3 the number of saves? He's yet to blow one.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing Halladay, Lee, or Mo in the first. They've all been tremendous so far this year, and a case can be made for all 3.

Just cause hes a Yankee it shouldnt mean anything.

That's not what Francona thinks. Otherwise he never would have mentioned it as a scenario.

Francona never did mention it. The media was pestering him with these type of questions during the teleconference and the story gained momentum since then. It was an idea from a writer at the NY Post and somehow people now think that Francona was debating it. He wasn't and he still isn't.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Oops, I guess I kinda read the OP's link a little too quickly. Nice catch, rocket.

As for the fact that he shouldn't start because he's a Yankee, I don't know. The home team always makes certain concessions with their own guys, and when their own guy is the best relief pitcher in baseball (aside from the save cat, that is...) this year (and arguably ever), I wouldn't be opposed to it in the least.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers