Mariano Rivera to START All-Star Game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariano Rivera to START All-Star Game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mariano Rivera to START All-Star Game?

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:01 pm

I just don't like it. He's not a starter. He shouldn't start the game.

Also, I feel like this is annoying propaganda that you don't hear in other stadiums. The ASG is normally tied to stadium events (opening/closing) to give a little kick-start (or kick-back) to the construction of the stadium. But you don't hear that the home-town player should start (at least, not with any real force). At the end of the day, this is the Major League Baseball All Star Game at Yankee Stadium, not Yankee Stadium presents a baseball game.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NWSoxaholic » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Matthias wrote:I just don't like it. He's not a starter. He shouldn't start the game.

Also, I feel like this is annoying propaganda that you don't hear in other stadiums. The ASG is normally tied to stadium events (opening/closing) to give a little kick-start (or kick-back) to the construction of the stadium. But you don't hear that the home-town player should start (at least, not with any real force). At the end of the day, this is the Major League Baseball All Star Game at Yankee Stadium, not Yankee Stadium presents a baseball game.

I think this goes a little above 'the home-town player should start." This is the final year of (the real)Yankee Stadium and Mariano Rivera is one of the greats, so I really have no problem if he starts. I think most players would understand that it'll be a somewhat historic moment for the game, too.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:01 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Amazinz wrote:The Yankees are the ones who have been lobbying pretty hard for this through Michael Kay.

God I hate Michael Kay

I was going to say I didn't care who started the game, but now that I know Kay wants this pushed through I just don't know... :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:05 pm

NWSoxaholic wrote:
Matthias wrote:I just don't like it. He's not a starter. He shouldn't start the game.

I think this goes a little above 'the home-town player should start." This is the final year of (the real)Yankee Stadium and Mariano Rivera is one of the greats, so I really have no problem if he starts. I think most players would understand that it'll be a somewhat historic moment for the game, too.

Yah, but really, often the ASG is held in the last year of this park or the first year of that park and you could probably always try to create a compelling story line for something. Besides, it doesn't look like Tito is going that way anyway.
Phyllis Merhige, Major League Baseball’s senior vice president for club relations, collaborates on personnel decisions with Terry Francona, the manager of the Boston Red Sox and of the A.L. All-Star team. She said he would soon decide on a starter and that it did not seem Rivera was even a long-shot candidate.

Although Merhige spoke respectfully of Rivera, who is considered the best closer in baseball history, she said it would be disrespectful to choose a closer over the starters. Merhige noted how some pitchers had won 10 or more games in the first half of the season and one of them should be rewarded with the start.

“Believe me when I tell you, we are aware of where we’re playing, who some of the guys are that are representing what teams and we will treat that very respectfully,” Francona said.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:36 pm

Alright, now I think it should be Halladay.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:58 pm

I think they ought to let Mo pitch the 1st inning. What's the difference if he gets to pitch the 1st inning or the 9th inning. Only rule is he ONLY pitches the 1st inning, no matter what....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:19 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I think they ought to let Mo pitch the 1st inning. What's the difference if he gets to pitch the 1st inning or the 9th inning. Only rule is he ONLY pitches the 1st inning, no matter what....

The difference is he is a closer. Let Cliff Lee start the game and have Mo come in the 9th inning, no matter what the score. Who cares if the game is already over at that point? The fans wont care as they want to see Mo.

The NY Post needs to stop publishing and pushing these type of stories.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:04 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Let Cliff Lee start the game..

I can see the argument, but Halladay has never started an All-Star Game (he was going to do it in 2005 before the line drive), and beats Lee in WHIP, IP, CG, SO, ShO, and K/BB.

Lee has him beat in the traditional categories of W and ERA, and has had a fantastic season, no doubt about that...but is he really a star in the same way that Halladay is?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby dorje3 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:28 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
Matthias wrote:If he pitches 1 inning in the beginning of a blow-out or if he pitches 1 inning at the end of a blow-out, his services are just as, "needed" ... it's just less dramatic.

Yeah, that's exactly the point...

But if it's close and he pitches at the end, it's much more dramatic. B-)

I like to gamble.

This is really the crux of the matter. How terrible would it be if Mo started the game and a nail-biting closing situation presented itself at the end of the game? And the "best closer in the history of the game' was unavailable to pitch in the last frame? And that palyer is a Yankee that could have been out there for the final out in the final All Star game in the final year of Yankee stadium?. And what if his replacement blows the save and the game? Or worse yet, in the context of Yankee nation, Pappelbon makes the final out?
He is a closer and should close out the game. Period.
And not to make any mention of the fact that you play to win the game.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:42 am

mweir145 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Let Cliff Lee start the game..

I can see the argument, but Halladay has never started an All-Star Game (he was going to do it in 2005 before the line drive), and beats Lee in WHIP, IP, CG, SO, ShO, and K/BB.

Lee has him beat in the traditional categories of W and ERA, and has had a fantastic season, no doubt about that...but is he really a star in the same way that Halladay is?

That's fine. I wouldnt mind either Halladay or Cliff Lee. I think Halladay does deserve the start as well (and as you stated he probably deserves it more). I just dont want to see Rivera get the ball to start the game. And if you read Francona's comments (and now MLB has chimed in), it will thankfully not happen.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers