Mariano Rivera to START All-Star Game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariano Rivera to START All-Star Game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mariano Rivera to START All-Star Game?

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:36 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Not happening. Francona alluded to this fact in his teleconference with the media earlier in the week. And wouldnt it be better for Mariano to close the final AS game in the stadium? I think that is more respectful than having him start the game. Have Pap in the 8th and Rivera in the 9th. Perfect ending.

But they won't win, so what then? :-?

}:-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:40 am

The only reason this seems like a good idea at all, is that if the AL is losing Rivera coming in wouldn't mean anything, but this still seems silly. I'm not really a fan of him, but whether the game is close or not watching him end the game regardless of the score I think would be the best. Not like the All-Star game means anything anyway. }:-)
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:45 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:The only reason this seems like a good idea at all, is that if the AL is losing Rivera coming in wouldn't mean anything, but this still seems silly. I'm not really a fan of him, but whether the game is close or not watching him end the game regardless of the score I think would be the best. Not like the All-Star game means anything anyway. }:-)

It has nothing to do with the game. It's paying respect to what was a great stadium where so much drama had occured. There isn't a better way to do this than have Riviera throw the first pitch of the game since there is no guarantee Mariano's services will be needed later in the game. Besides, it's fitting to give one of baseball all-time great closers a little props.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:46 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:The only reason this seems like a good idea at all, is that if the AL is losing Rivera coming in wouldn't mean anything, but this still seems silly. I'm not really a fan of him, but whether the game is close or not watching him end the game regardless of the score I think would be the best. Not like the All-Star game means anything anyway. }:-)

It has nothing to do with the game. It's paying respect to what was a great stadium where so much drama had occured. There isn't a better way to do this than have Riviera throw the first pitch of the game since there is no guarantee Mariano's services will be needed later in the game. Besides, it's fitting to give one of baseball all-time great closers a little props.

If he pitches 1 inning in the beginning of a blow-out or if he pitches 1 inning at the end of a blow-out, his services are just as, "needed" ... it's just less dramatic.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Matthias wrote:If he pitches 1 inning in the beginning of a blow-out or if he pitches 1 inning at the end of a blow-out, his services are just as, "needed" ... it's just less dramatic.

Yeah, that's exactly the point...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby pappymojo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:05 pm

RedHopeful wrote:It has nothing to do with the game. It's paying respect to what was a great stadium where so much drama had occured. There isn't a better way to do this than have Riviera throw the first pitch of the game since there is no guarantee Mariano's services will be needed later in the game. Besides, it's fitting to give one of baseball all-time great closers a little props.

Francona has other players that he needs to respect as well, legit starting pitchers who deserve to be recognized and honored. Francona has a lot of respect for the game and for Rivera in particular (see 2005 when he coached the all star game).

I think he leaves Rivera as the closer so that the best closer to have ever pitched at Yankee stadium closes the all star game.
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:15 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Matthias wrote:If he pitches 1 inning in the beginning of a blow-out or if he pitches 1 inning at the end of a blow-out, his services are just as, "needed" ... it's just less dramatic.

Yeah, that's exactly the point...

But if it's close and he pitches at the end, it's much more dramatic. B-)

I like to gamble.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Marrakesh Express » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:29 pm

Nothing better than paying respect to this great stadium which will be leveled in the next few years. I wish they would leave the stadiums the way they are. Can you imagine demolishing Fenway Park, or Wrigley? That said Rivera should be in an important part of the game and since you can't assume there will be a save situation starting him will do just that. I also wouldn't be opposed to having him pitch the last pitch of the game but i think it would mean more in the final home game at the end of the season. And they won't make the playoffs so yall can mark your calendars for the the final home game.
Marrakesh Express
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:22 pm

The Yankees are the ones who have been lobbying pretty hard for this through Michael Kay.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:47 pm

Amazinz wrote:The Yankees are the ones who have been lobbying pretty hard for this through Michael Kay.

God I hate Michael Kay
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers