Gio Gonzalez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Gio Gonzalez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gio Gonzalez

Postby charger_ss24 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:09 pm

Now that Harden has been traded, is a call up just around the corner? Just now picked him up in my 12-team keeper league.
charger_ss24
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Gio Gonzalez

Postby kab21 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:44 pm

charger_ss24 wrote:Now that Harden has been traded, is a call up just around the corner? Just now picked him up in my 12-team keeper league.

Nope, Blanton, Duke, Greg Smith, Eveland have spots for sure in the rotation. And Sean Gallagher is getting the first crack in the 5th spot. And I think he'll do pretty well.

And I'm not sure if anyone else is ahead of Gio in the A's pecking order.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:59 am

I would imagine Trevor Cahill would also get a look if they're thinking about calling anyone up...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 am

Inukchuk wrote:I would imagine Trevor Cahill would also get a look if they're thinking about calling anyone up...

Really don't think we'll see Cahill this year. A's handle their youngsters well (he just turned 20 like 4 months ago) and there is no reason to rush him. Personally, I think he'd get hit by ML pitching as he doesn't have an overwhelming fastball. If a guy doesn't have dominant stuff and he's young, makes for a bad combo.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:25 am

Cahill is nowhere near ready. He'll go to AAA before he is even close to joining the big club. Gio needs to be more consistent and get his BB's down. I doubt Beane will call him up until he makes some serious improvements.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:17 pm

Yoda wrote:Cahill is nowhere near ready. He'll go to AAA before he is even close to joining the big club. Gio needs to be more consistent and get his BB's down. I doubt Beane will call him up until he makes some serious improvements.

Hm. I was thinking that his (Cahill's) numbers would at least garner a look if the situation arose where Oakland would need a starter. How far apart would you say he and Gio are in the race to the bigs?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Yoda wrote:Cahill is nowhere near ready. He'll go to AAA before he is even close to joining the big club. Gio needs to be more consistent and get his BB's down. I doubt Beane will call him up until he makes some serious improvements.

Hm. I was thinking that his (Cahill's) numbers would at least garner a look if the situation arose where Oakland would need a starter. How far apart would you say he and Gio are in the race to the bigs?

1 year. Good chance we'll see Gio this September while I can't see Trevor in the bigs until sometime next season (probably September).
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:23 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

1 year. Good chance we'll see Gio this September while I can't see Trevor in the bigs until sometime next season (probably September).

Yeah considering Cahill started at A+ unless he keeps dominating AA, I wouldn't expect him to get called up until 2009.

Gio was so bad earlier this year but his last two starts have been great. Maybe something clicked in his head but Fresno and COL are not very strong so unless he keeps dominating, I wouldn't expect him up this year. It also depends on how the A's rotation is holding up as well. Blanton is a constant trade target and Duch is always hurt so a spot could open up soon.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Injuries & Player Updates