Mariners release Sexson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners release Sexson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mariners release Sexson

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 am

bdrotoronto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Considering there is no steroid controversy surrounding him and the team wouldn't have to "sell their souls" to get him, I'd like the Jays to sign him and platoon him with Stairs. It appears that he can still hit lefties, and it's better than sticking 2 catchers in the lineup every time a lefty takes the mound.

I've been thinking the same thing. Sexson's 11 HR's would lead the Blue Jays.

I just don't trust JP to pull the trigger on this though.. you know, since Sexson is a lot like Adam Dunn, only with fewer HR's and a weaker batting average.. !+)

I would like to think that with all the bad luck dousing the Jays, there would be some motivation by the team to at least beat the Orioles out of last place. With the Rays in contention and the Yanks never likely to fall lower than third, I would hope JP and the management would stick their pride in this and take a perennially 2nd/3rd place team and try to keep them in 4th at least. They should be signing Sexson to give him another chance to rebuild some stock.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:16 am

[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:22 am

LOL that pitch wasn't even close to hitting him. Plus why would TEX intentionally throw at the opponent's worst hitter?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bwanna » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:26 am

Yoda wrote:LOL that pitch wasn't even close to hitting him. Plus why would TEX intentionally throw at the opponent's worst hitter?

Yup. You can see the ball in that frame... it was pretty much directly above the plate and about 3 feet from Ritchie's head. :-o :-o

The commentators on the video are obviously home town announcers, and of course they didn't point out what a retard he was. I was watching the FSN broadcast, and the Rangers' broadcast team laid into him as they should have.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:32 am

God I love that clip, it's directly over the middle of the plate. And then the announcers say, theres no doubt the pitch was on purpose. :-D But seriously, I remember when Sexson was a good player and it's kind of sad how fast his skills have disappeared.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:19 pm

I gained some respect for Milton Bradley in that video... glad he at least was able to keep it together. Too bad he tends not to.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Bwanna » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:26 pm

Here's ESPN's replay, which is pretty good..
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... =mlb,81625

I love this quote from the same article...
Impaired: The only problem with Sexson's timing was, Gabbard threw a pitch up, up, way up, that would have been a strike were it 2 feet lower. Sexson, channeling an above-average Kevin Nealon skit and using the judgment that has produced his 1,200-plus career strikeouts, thought the ball was at his head. Yeah, if his head were the size of Mr. Met's, OK. But Sexson's head was safely inside the batter's box. Later, Sexson called his own actions — relating to throwing the helmet — "chicken [bleep]." At least he recognized that. Now, if he could just tell a ball from a strike to his head.
[reg season/playoffs]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TonyCee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:30 pm

What are the odds that Sexson would sign anywhere before Monday night? I know he's on irrevocable waivers until Sunday but how long does a player typically wait to sign with a team? (assuming some team out there will offer him a deal.)

Thanks for any help and have a good weekend!

Tony
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TonyCee » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:45 am

TonyCee wrote:What are the odds that Sexson would sign anywhere before Monday night? I know he's on irrevocable waivers until Sunday but how long does a player typically wait to sign with a team? (assuming some team out there will offer him a deal.)

Tony

Can anyone please help? I'll gladly help out wherever I can for you. Thanks!
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:28 pm

TonyCee wrote:
TonyCee wrote:What are the odds that Sexson would sign anywhere before Monday night? I know he's on irrevocable waivers until Sunday but how long does a player typically wait to sign with a team? (assuming some team out there will offer him a deal.)

Tony

Can anyone please help? I'll gladly help out wherever I can for you. Thanks!

I doubt that anybody will claim him on waivers before the deadline. In addition to rostering him on the MLB team don't you also assume his contract (or make a deal with the Mariners, but this is irrevocable waivers so that is also different) if you pick up a player on waivers?

But somebody will pick him up as a FA after he has passed thru waivers and probably give him a MiLB deal.

I fail to see how this is a big deal. I wouldn't be interested in having Sexson on any of my fantasy teams no matter how deep the league was.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers