Interesting dillema...Need Help Please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Interesting dillema...Need Help Please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting dillema...Need Help Please

Postby alexeroberts » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 pm

Fellas,

I am commissioner of a 11 team 5x5 keeper league where any 5 guys will be kept over next year. no frills with the keeper system.

I have two trade dillemas.

First - this trade was offered to me and I accepted, from the 7th place team with a marginal chance at 3rd place (pays out the fee) but no chance at 2nd or 3rd. beltran, ichiro, mike gonzalez for adrian gonzalez and abreu. basically, i think it's lopsided in my favor and I am feeling uneasy about having accepted the deal, as commisioner. my team is currently in 3rd place with a great shot at 2nd even without this deal - with this deal i may have a shot to win. the other team obviously seens AGonz as the best player in the deal going into next year (I do too) and is willing to pay a fee for him even though he already has morneau and fielder. if I were him I certainly would not have made this deal, as beltran is a legit keeper on his team, and not much worse than AGonz if at all. it's a hefty deal, one that won't help him for this year. i wonder if, as commissioner, i have an obligation to turn down a deal as unfair as this one for the sake of the league? or if I should have thrown in a draft pick to make it more fair. or if I can throw in a draft pick after the fact even though that would be sort of copping to my recognition that it's an unfair deal. any advice?

Second - My brother is in the league too and I offered him a trade and finally sold him on it. I get Cano and Halladay for Danks, Maine and Yunel Escobar. I honestly expected him to reject it and I planned to offer without the MI's, which I think objectively is more balanced. However, he accepted it, and some others in the league feel it's a bit unfair. My brother's team is in 4th place with a very good shot at 3rd. he needs K help big time and I need WHIP which is the underlying motivation of the deal. Cano was a reach for me and I got lucky he accepted it as is.

If both these deals go through I'll have a very good shot at winning. Basically I am feeling that I should not accept (or even propose I guess) trades that are blatantly unfair as the commisioner, because I am setting a very bad example. My league has traditionally been very very lax with vetos, using only in the most extreme circumstances - i will be surprised if these trades get vetoed but also a tad relieved.

thoughts please?
alexeroberts
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting dillema...Need Help Please

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:50 pm

If I'm reading your post right the league votes on trades, not you as the comish. If that's the case I don't see any problem. Truth to tell I don't see any problem even if you're the one reviewing trades. I'm not sure why you mentioned it was your brother in the league - I'm not sure why that matters. If you're leaving something out and there's something underhanded going on, then it matters, but with your story as is it doesn't. It's your job as the comish to keep the league running smoothly, not to protect owners from themselves.
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 48)

Re: Interesting dillema...Need Help Please

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:50 am

There's nothing wrong with ripping off the other players in your league. That's their own fault. If your leaguemates don't trust you than that's their problem. ;-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Return to Commissioner's Corner