Can anyone explain to me.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can anyone explain to me....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can anyone explain to me....

Postby RynMan » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:46 pm

can anyone tell me if they have ever ran into the max amount of innings pitched for the league, like i think yahoo's is 1250 by default or something. what implications will this have, can i take 5 starters and no more you think?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can anyone explain to me....

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:50 pm

RynMan wrote:can anyone tell me if they have ever ran into the max amount of innings pitched for the league, like i think yahoo's is 1250 by default or something. what implications will this have, can i take 5 starters and no more you think?

I just asked the same question and was told to take no more than 5 SP's and then fill the rest with RP's. They say that SP's average 200 IP and RP's average around 80.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Arlo » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:44 pm

I'd say the idea is to always run into the maximum. As Lo said, five SPs and a few relievers should take you there.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:40 pm

I have seen people draft allot of Sp's and run out of innings early in the year then trade there pitchers away for categorys they are behind in.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:53 am

kentx12 wrote:I have seen people draft allot of Sp's and run out of innings early in the year then trade there pitchers away for categorys they are behind in.

A guy in one of my leagues did that last year, and then was stuck trading his pitching for whatever he could get. Everyone knew he was in trouble because of it and he had to take far less than market value to move those pitchers for some hitting help.

As to the IP limits, yes, around 5 starters is good and avoid the bad starts (like at Coors). You would ideally like to hit the max in the last week of the season, but injuries are tough to predict. Stay a little ahead of the average, and then go with just the best quality starts toward the end of the year. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ktown » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:15 am

I like to go with 3-4 starters and relievers at the beginning of the season to see how things pan out in the first month. It always seems that lower tier pitchers aren't as predictable early in the year. Then I can start to pick and choose the best matchups during the season and not worry too much about the innings limit (I still try to get there though).
I will also add that my pitching staffs are never very good. I focus most of my draft on hitting and take a shotgun approach to drafting pitching in the late rounds. I fill my bench with sleeper/risky pitchers and wait for one or two to emerge from the pack.
ktown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:26 am

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but in Yahoo the day you go over the limit all your pitchers stats count. So if you are at 1249 innings and start 3 pitchers all the stats count.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Return to Baseball Leftovers