OMG Jamie Lynn Spears' Baby - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

OMG Jamie Lynn Spears' Baby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

OMG Jamie Lynn Spears' Baby

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Why is this news? I guess because of reactions like mine.

I get on yahoo to check out my fantasy teams and the featured topic is this nonsense.

This girl is 17 years old, right? So are we glorifying teenage pregnancy now? I don't want to come off as Bill O'Reilly, but give me a break. I don't care about this girl getting pregnant, in fact I think it is insane that it is news. I'm sure there are plenty of great teenage moms out there, but usually when you are pregnant at 16/17 it is not a good thing, especially when you don't have the advantage of being rich. I just want to shove a fork in my eye when I read stuff like this. It actually attaches prestige to this. The last thing we need is for teenage girls to try and emulate this.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: OMG Jamie Lynn Spears' Baby

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Polar Bear wrote:Why is this news? I guess because of reactions like mine.

I get on yahoo to check out my fantasy teams and the featured topic is this nonsense.

This girl is 17 years old, right? So are we glorifying teenage pregnancy now? I don't want to come off as Bill O'Reilly, but give me a break. I don't care about this girl getting pregnant, in fact I think it is insane that it is news. I'm sure there are plenty of great teenage moms out there, but usually when you are pregnant at 16/17 it is not a good thing, especially when you don't have the advantage of being rich. I just want to shove a fork in my eye when I read stuff like this. It actually attaches prestige to this. The last thing we need is for teenage girls to try and emulate this.

some people dont care about celebrity news, but some obviously do given the succes of tmz, perezhilton, access hollywood, inside edition, extra, etc...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:55 pm

Geez, I guess whatever sells huh.

I just don't think it is a great image for young teenage girls who are already sexually active. I know I am operating on a slippery slope here, but I don't think it would be too far fetched for a girl to come off birth control because she sees a baby as a status symbol.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:02 pm

I don't see how this is the media's glorification of teenage pregnancy. I could see why it might give some sexually active teenagers something to point at as a copout when they're questioned for it, but for the most part, it's just to meet the demand of those who are interested in celebrity news. Jamie Lynn Spears is high-profile enough of a celebrity for this to be major news, I suppose. I don't care any for celebrity news, especially all that A-Rod/Madonna rubbish, but there's simply a big demand for such news and that's really all.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:03 pm

It saddens me this is news, because shes done really nothing in society other than have a drug addicted lunatic for a sister and get knocked up. Also, feel bad for her kid. :-/
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:16 pm

Polar Bear wrote:I'm sure there are Zero great teenage moms out there

Fixed ;-D
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:22 pm

dclark0699 wrote:

Fixed ;-D

That's just not true. While for the vast majority of people, teenage pregnancy is a horribly unplanned, terrible experience for all parties involved, there are certainly mothers who step up to the plate and do a fantastic job as mothers and parents. There are even fathers, too.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:31 pm

Teenage pregnancy is the biggest problem in the United States and directly causes many of our other serious problems. Even if the parents "step up to the plate" they still are not going to be in position monetarily and in terms of maturity to take care of a child. A lot of the success done by teenage parents is the result of the grandparents.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:52 pm

dclark0699 wrote:Teenage pregnancy is the biggest problem in the United States and directly causes many of our other serious problems. Even if the parents "step up to the plate" they still are not going to be in position monetarily and in terms of maturity to take care of a child. A lot of the success done by teenage parents is the result of the grandparents.

For what it's worth, I'd say obesity is a bigger problem than teenage pregnancy on a nationwide scale. I believe teenage pregnancy is down a good deal from where it was, say 20 years ago (even though from what I hear, it's back on the rise again).

Having a supportive family truly helps but I think in the end, there's a mutual awareness that the teenage parents are first and foremost responsibility in how they raise their children; the grandparents and other relatives are there for support on a wide range of levels. Of course, there will be some teenage parents that neglect this responsibility to varying degrees (one of my cousins is an example) and there will be parents that unfortunately don't have that support net, but there are parents who learn to persevere on their own and do an awesome job of it.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Polar Bear » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:03 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
dclark0699 wrote:

Fixed ;-D

That's just not true. While for the vast majority of people, teenage pregnancy is a horribly unplanned, terrible experience for all parties involved, there are certainly mothers who step up to the plate and do a fantastic job as mothers and parents. There are even fathers, too.

Yeah I agree with this. While they are certainly exceptions, they are still there. I never like to give an absolutist stance on an issue such as this.

This type of news just bugs me. I guess my frustration with the story is not the story itself, but how it is being received. It seems as though they are making her an adult.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to General Talk