Joel Zumaya Update? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Joel Zumaya Update?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joel Zumaya Update?

Postby durango1555 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:36 am

When the hell are the Tigers going to take Todd Jones out of the closer's role and plug in Zumaya? I own Todd Jones and recently picked up Zumaya for insurance as Jones puts 2 or 3 guys on base everytime he steps to the mound. So is it wishful thinking that Zumaya will be the closer here in a few weeks or a real possibility? ANYONE IN DETROIT WANNNA CHIME IN?
durango1555
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joel Zumaya Update?

Postby Tigers2006 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:21 pm

My best guess is .... never. Jones has only not converted 1 save all year, so that means he is not losing games for them, only putting up crappy stats. 75 saves over 2006-2007 and on pace for another 35 this season. I only see Zumaya getting the "role" late in the season if the Tigers are completely out of it. But, Leyland won't show signs of giving up, so Zumaya may only get chances by sharing them along with Jones and Rodney in the last few weeks.

IMO, obviously, but I am in Detroit and get that feeling.
Tigers2006
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:40 pm

i think all 33 of this guys posts are the same question asked over and over and over and locked by Hammy
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby durango1555 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:29 pm

they are most certainly not....go check for yourself...apparently all caps got me locked and then I misclicked and posted it 3 times or something......I'm trying to be an active member on this forum. If you go look earlier this morning I was trying to give my advice to a few people. I'm glad you took the time to flame my post.
durango1555
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Tommy John » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:42 pm

Like some other posts have stated when thumbing through the cafe, I think Zumaya's only chance at closing comes if they have no chance at the playoffs. After this year, however, I would bet that Zumaya is handed the closing job.

Big upside who I think will fight the injury bug occasionally, I think it would be a big mistake if they are serious about moving him into the starting rotation. Ala Kerry Wood/Rich Harden talent/injury history. Maybe he will stay healthy from here on out, and I don't really know how labor intensive his motion is, but I think he will fight the injury bug if overworked.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby durango1555 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:25 pm

how many hours of Dan Lamskin's life has been wasted because of his 4300 posts on fantasy cafe? Do you guys think he has wasted 2 full years of his life posting on this forum........get a life man
durango1555
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MTUCache » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:35 pm

Not sure what news would have led you to believe that the job was Zumaya's by default... sure, at some point in the future he's the closer-in-waiting, but there's never been any indication that Jones' isn't Leyland's man, even in the worst of times.

This season Jones is steady as ever. Only one blown save in 17 opps (well, okay, 2 after today), and sporting a 4-0 record. Sure, the 4.90 ERA and 1.5 WHIP is awful, but it's no different than it's ever been. That's just his style, and obviously the Tigers' brass are more than happy to let him keep spitting it.

Zumaya will not take over the closer's role this year... even if the Tigers are out of it going into September. There's simply no reason for it.

If the Tigers are considering changing (or even concerned about) anything in their bullpen, they're gripping over Rodney's setup-antics (everybody sitting on his changeup and watching his fastball hit the backstop). Everybody else has pretty much been doing their job to this point.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 am

durango1555 wrote:how many hours of Dan Lamskin's life has been wasted because of his 4300 posts on fantasy cafe? Do you guys think he has wasted 2 full years of his life posting on this forum........get a life man

i'd say 90% of my posts come during work hours, so i'm getting paid while doing this sucker
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Injuries & Player Updates