High K/9 pitchers you wouldn't expect - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

High K/9 pitchers you wouldn't expect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

High K/9 pitchers you wouldn't expect

Postby Lordrevolution » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:14 am

I'm not talking about guys who always throw a ton of ks, but those hidden gems who're undervalued. Who've you got?
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: High K/9 pitchers you wouldn't expect

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:33 am

1. Shawn Marcum
2. John Danks
3. Johnathan Sanchez (not surprised the k rate, but the overall production)
4. Gil Meche
5. Ubaldo Jimenez
6. Ricky Nolasco
7. Jeremy Guthrie

shall i keep going?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:42 am

Not exactly a hidden gem...but what's up with Roy Halladay?

He's gone from a 5.55 K/9 last season (6.32 K/9 career) to a 7.41 K/9 this season. And he's actually walking signficantly less too. His fastball velocity has also jumped up 1.7 MPH to 2005 levels, and his curveball is sharper than it's ever been.

He's seemingly become a better pitcher than he has at any point in his career at the age of 31 (his FIP is 2.89...the previous best for a full season was 2.97 in 2002).

It makes me suspect that Doc was fighting injuries over the last two years (as I had suspected for a while), and is now healthy again. I did think he was in the decline heading into the '08 season, but it appears that is not the case at all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby markj11 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 am

Jorge De La Rosa SP COL 9.28 K/9
Wandy Rodríguez SP HOS 8.27 K/9
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tommy John » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:55 am

Bronson Arroyo 8.27
Scott Baker 7.58
Sean Gallagher 7.52
Jason Bergmann 7.33
Chan Ho Park 7.08
Radhames Liz 7.02
Kevin Slowey 6.86
Brandon Backe 6.71
Greg Smith 6.21
Tim Wakefield 6.09

These are just a few that caught my eye or suprised me a little
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:55 am

mweir145 wrote:Not exactly a hidden gem...but what's up with Roy Halladay?

He's gone from a 5.55 K/9 last season (6.32 K/9 career) to a 7.41 K/9 this season. And he's actually walking signficantly less too. His fastball velocity has also jumped up 1.7 MPH to 2005 levels, and his curveball is sharper than it's ever been.

He's seemingly become a better pitcher than he has at any point in his career at the age of 31 (his FIP is 2.89...the previous best for a full season was 2.97 in 2002).

It makes me suspect that Doc was fighting injuries over the last two years (as I had suspected for a while), and is now healthy again. I did think he was in the decline heading into the '08 season, but it appears that is not the case at all.

Yup, everytime I look over league leaders or whatever I always stop to look at Halladay....no matter how many times I see how well he is doing this year it still catches me off guard. He's really turning things around.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby The Cow » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:59 am

I have been pondering a Halladay trade for a while now, but thought his K rate would fall off. Still not sure, but like you said maybe he was working through some injuries. I like that his fastball is better now than the last couple years. Thanks for the input.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:30 pm

Some ppl probably know, but Buchholz will get a K/9 once he settles in. (Already is over 9 right now, as a matter of fact.)
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:37 pm

If Halladay was fighting injuries, I'm sure JP Ricciardi would have told us. :-]

I didn't target Halladay in any of my leagues this year and I only have him in one keeper league beacause he was already under contract. He has been a pleasant surprise this year. If Halladay got Kyle Kendrick kind of run support, he would easily have 13W before the break.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:49 pm

I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers