Starting injured players to gain in WHIP & ERA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Starting injured players to gain in WHIP & ERA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting injured players to gain in WHIP & ERA

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:10 pm

In my league it states that you need 900+ innings for the year to qualify.

I wonder, since I am in almost dead last in ERA and WHIP, how much ground can be made up with starting 4 solid closers for a top 2 finish in saves, and then fill the other 5 P spots with injured players.

You have have to have 4 closers with steller ERA and WHIP reputation.

Anyone ever tried this?

I did the same thing for 4 weeks in fantasy baseketball to gain in FG% and FT%, I gained 5 total spots to win my league. Other owners were ticked but most thought it was a great strategy.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Starting injured players to gain in WHIP & ERA

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:14 pm

I really don't understand this... if your ERA and WHIP are shot, why not just start any SP you want and rack up the K's and Wins?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:22 pm

yea, this makes no sense if there isn't an inning cap. go nut with SPs to win anything you can, you can't hurt these cats being in last already!
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:31 pm

I guess I should think before posting.

I waas thinking that if I had 4-5 guys with stellar ERA and WHIP and injured players that my ERa and WHIP could not get hurt and could only rise but yeh, I would have much less innings.

Sorry for wasting your time, my bad.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:33 pm

not only that but if your ERA and WHIP are already both terrible, you would need as many ip as possible to make a drastic change. if you were only starting 4-5 pitchers, and getting 5-6 starts a week, you would see minimal movement even if they were exceptional.

and instead of injured pitchers, why not just start relievers with good ratios but have SP as well? (taylor buchholtz, chad durbin come to mind).

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:not only that but if your ERA and WHIP are already both terrible, you would need as many ip as possible to make a drastic change. if you were only starting 4-5 pitchers, and getting 5-6 starts a week, you would see minimal movement even if they were exceptional.

and instead of injured pitchers, why not just start relievers with good ratios but have SP as well? (taylor buchholtz, chad durbin come to mind).

I tried this in a 10 team yahoo league this year. Completely ignored SP and filled my slots with good ratio closers and elite MRs (some of whom have SP eligibility). Im first in ERA, WHIP, SVs. Means Im getting 33 (actually have gotten enough Ks to pass a couple teams) points from pitching without spending a draft pick before the 18th round on them. Meanwhile my offense-first draft has me in first or second in SB, R, BA and decent in HR and RsBI for 38 points.

That means out of 100 possible points I have 81, giving me a nice lead on the rest of the league without much effort and without making a single trade. In a couple weeks if my whip and ERA leads are high enough I may grab some crappy high K pitchers to try to steal a couple points there.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:not only that but if your ERA and WHIP are already both terrible, you would need as many ip as possible to make a drastic change. if you were only starting 4-5 pitchers, and getting 5-6 starts a week, you would see minimal movement even if they were exceptional.

I tried this in a 10 team yahoo league this year. Completely ignored SP and filled my slots with good ratio closers and elite MRs (some of whom have SP eligibility). Im first in ERA, WHIP, SVs. Means Im getting 33 (actually have gotten enough Ks to pass a couple teams) points from pitching without spending a draft pick before the 18th round on them. Meanwhile my offense-first draft has me in first or second in SB, R, BA and decent in HR and RsBI for 38 points.

That means out of 100 possible points I have 81, giving me a nice lead on the rest of the league without much effort and without making a single trade. In a couple weeks if my whip and ERA leads are high enough I may grab some crappy high K pitchers to try to steal a couple points there.

see, i dont like completely punting sp, because you give up too many points in W and K's and you minimize your full potential.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:34 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:

see, i dont like completely punting sp, because you give up too many points in W and K's and you minimize your full potential.

I agree, usually, this was a test for me. The idea was ignoring SP completely in the draft and the trade market in order to max out my offense and try to wind up with an above average score from pitching (winning 3 cats usually means one of the top 3 pitching points earners). I would never punt it in a money league.

Im also punting saves in a H2H league, loaded up on high K/good ratio MRs (Linebrink, Marmol) for my RP slots and am winning Ws and Ks every week, and usually taking Whip and/or ERA.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers