Fake MMA: Men Kissing (Sacha Baron Cohen) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fake MMA: Men Kissing (Sacha Baron Cohen)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fake MMA: Men Kissing (Sacha Baron Cohen)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:52 pm

urbanbreez wrote:I've yet to see anyone point to a specific example of how Sasha "hates" America.

He's no more anti-American than any other comedian who makes fun of demographics of people and certain cultures in the US. Except in this case we get to see what they are talking about first-hand, and it's absolutely hilarious. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:54 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
mweir145 wrote: Well I'm also half American

You're half American?

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!! HA

The last time I felt this relieved was the time the paternity test came back negative.

In your face US. He's half American!!

B-)

LMAO. :-b
I was born in Canada, and cheer for them in sports and things, but half of my family is American.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:54 pm

mweir145 wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:I've yet to see anyone point to a specific example of how Sasha "hates" America.

He's no more anti-American than any other comedian who makes fun of demographics of people and certain cultures in the US. Except in this case we get to see what they are talking about first-hand, and it's absolutely hilarious. ;-D

Precisely. It has nothing to do with hate for America.

By that logic, George Carlin, Lewis Black, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Bill Maher and millions of others all hate America as well.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:lol brilliant! It also reminded me of the Rick Mercer piece where Governor Huckabee congratulated Canada on preserving their Parliament made of ice LINK. second link

Bahaha, I didn't know that guy was Huckabee, but I do remember that bit.

National Igloo....we should get one of those. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:59 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
mweir145 wrote: Well I'm also half American

You're half American?

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!! HA

The last time I felt this relieved was the time the paternity test came back negative.

In your face US. He's half American!!

B-)

LMAO. :-b
I was born in Canada, and cheer for them in sports and things, but half of my family is American.

shut up and change your "location" yankee
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:shut up and change your "location" yankee

Well I do live in Toronto currently. But rest assured, it will be changed back in late August. ;-D

BTW, I also don't know why I don't cheer for the US in sports (like the Olympics) because I could probably get away with it...but it's just not as much fun as being the underdog.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:03 pm

OK I lied. Two final thoughts and then I really will go lighten up...

1. "half my family is American" is a euphemism for "Canadian refugee".

2. There's is absolutely no way for me to prove Cohen hates America so I think it is fairly ridiculous to say I am not backing it up. Search the blogosphere and you will see that I am FAR from alone in this interpretation. Not that that makes me right but shows that I'm just not some lone kook. Although I am a kook. The exploitation of Americans is a form of hatred in my book and I feel like you're sticking me with semantics rather than the meat of my feelings.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:16 pm

Amazinz wrote:1. "half my family is American" is a euphemism for "Canadian refugee".

Haha.

Well I did only say it to make sure you stopped thinking that I watched the movie solely to feel better about myself and my country. Is that why you actually think people in other countries think this is funny or like this movie? Because we all hate America and want to see Americans look stupid on TV? 8-o

2. There's is absolutely no way for me to prove Cohen hates America so I think it is fairly ridiculous to say I am not backing it up. Search the blogosphere and you will see that I am FAR from alone in this interpretation. Not that that makes me right but shows that I'm just not some lone kook. Although I am a kook. The exploitation of Americans is a form of hatred in my book and I feel like you're sticking me with semantics rather than the meat of my feelings.

So there are others? Sheep, you mean? (well that's what you did call the critics that had favourable reviews on this movie). :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:36 pm

America is primarily built and sustained on exploitation in various forms. Ya know -- like the basis of our class system and the fundamentals of Capitalism... So, by your logic -- America hates itself? :-? That can't be. We are the 16th happiest country in the world and clearly the most powerful despite every spectacularly stupid effort of G. Dubbya to reverse that. (don’t have a link for the study but its a recent one)

My point is: it's an incredible leap to state that exploitation is a sign of hatred(I think thats the link you're taking issue with), particularly, in a society flourishing on certain amounts of exploitation. If anything, someone adept at exploitation would embrace, appreciate and admire America, as its principals would match his own.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:58 pm

Borat was the most overrated movie since Blair Witch. I was falling asleep 15 minutes into it and barely made it through.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk