Fake MMA: Men Kissing (Sacha Baron Cohen) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fake MMA: Men Kissing (Sacha Baron Cohen)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fake MMA: Men Kissing (Sacha Baron Cohen)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:...but that doesn't mean he hates America.

Well call it something more appealing then but then it's just a matter of semantics. If someone manipulated you're family into a situation and then posted that situation on YouTube out of context, how would you view it? Not hateful?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:28 pm

I've yet to see anyone point to a specific example of how Sasha "hates" America.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:...but that doesn't mean he hates America.

Well call it something more appealing then but then it's just a matter of semantics. If someone manipulated you're family into a situation and then posted that situation on YouTube out of context, how would you view it? Not hateful?

How is he manipulating though? By acting? He is doing nothing to coax these people into saying something that they aren't already thinking. He simply uses his character to get their guard down. What they do after that is on them. That's not manipulation to me. He isn't forcing them to say anything. He's just exposing the outrageousness of what people do wind up saying.

And much of what he does in the movie is simply to evoke a reaction based on the stupidity of his character, and not to 'express hate towards America' or even towards a certain group of people. It's like the Tom Green Show, Jackass, Scare Tactics and Candid Camera, except 1000x more clever IMO.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Losing money (under-cost tickets and beer) on an event guaranteed to attract young males isn't manipulation? You mean he did this out of the goodness of his heart hoping they'd enjoy it? You think that the reaction of drunk twenty-somethings is indicative of them as people? I think we've all said and done things we're embarrassed of because they aren't indicative of who we are.

Well, I won't convince you but at least the seed is planted and maybe someone will see this "comedy" in a different light. I need to go lighten up now. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Amazinz wrote:I really don't care that some idiot from the U.K. wants to paint America in a bad light. I don't care that Canadians feel better about themselves for seeing it or that Eurotrash revel in the anti-American sentiment. However, it is definitely sad that young Americans are so willing to turn their dollars over to a guy who so obviously hates them. Also, if Cohen was targeting a middle eastern community people would be whistling another tune.

I feel better about myself because I watched this movie as a Canadian? What the hell.

And anti-American hate? Well I'm also half American and I don't see this at all. I think it's hilarious what some of these dumb, uninformed people in this country don't know, and what they will actually say to a camera.

Atleast now we know why you hated Borat as you've gone into great detail over it, but you're WAY off the mark.

Oh, and this stunt for Bruno looks hilarious. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:47 pm

I think that he holds a mirror up and some people are jerks and come off as jerks and some people are nice. For example the frat boys are complete wastes of life and come across as so in the movie. Other people that are funny are shown to just be really very nice people who are very patient with a foreign goofball. For instance the people at the dinner party and the driving instructor were just very nice and patient people.

If you want to hate on people for mocking Americans hate the Simpsons, hate Stephen Colbert, hate America's Funniest Home Videos but don't hate Cohen.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:48 pm

knapplc wrote:Everyone pokes fun at everyone, that’s just part of comedy and that’s not what's being called out here. What he’s getting at is the practice of putting unwitting people in situations where they will react out of context of their normal lives, capturing that, and exploiting the ensuing ugliness. It’s a cheap ploy that a talented comedian should (I presume) be above. But Cohen is not. The fact that what he’s doing is misunderstood by most doesn’t make it right, it makes most unaware of what he’s doing, that’s all.

Wow. I’m utterly speechless at the way you’ve managed to mangle logic.

“What he’s getting at is the practice of putting unwitting people in situations where they will react out of context of their normal lives”

First of all, do you not think people recognize the large object mounted atop the shoulder of Borat’s film crew? Not quite “unwitting,” is the presence of a large move-recording-devise-thingy that anything with intelligence above a primate and age above 5 will recognize as having the ability to capture and record events, even if those events are not in the subjects best interest. hence, Ignorance is a weak defense for spouting off commentary that may place a bad light on individuals making those types of statements. I find it hilarious the these "exploited" (give me a friggin break with that word in this context) idiots have been exposed for having warped views that are generally disgusting. <--------in reference to the College kids in the RV and the "fella" at the Rodeo.

What was that you wrote again? Ah, yes “What he’s getting at is the practice of putting unwitting people in situations where they will react out of context of their normal lives”

Allow me list similar things:
1.Reality shows: all of them. Yes, even your favorites like “The Bachelor” are built on exploiting peoples’ personal lives.
2.Tabloids
3.Talk shows. Both radio and TV

I can list about 20 things off the top of my head here but lets just go ahead and agree that “explotation” is a very American activity for someone that “hates” America.
Last edited by urbanbreez on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:49 pm

mweir145 wrote:Well I'm also half American...

We deny this. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:50 pm

Amazinz wrote:Losing money (under-cost tickets and beer) on an event guaranteed to attract young males isn't manipulation? You mean he did this out of the goodness of his heart hoping they'd enjoy it? You think that the reaction of drunk twenty-somethings is indicative of them as people? I think we've all said and done things we're embarrassed of because they aren't indicative of who we are.

Well, I won't convince you but at least the seed is planted and maybe someone will see this "comedy" in a different light. I need to go lighten up now. :-)

Fair enough, I'd certainly say that this latest stunt surpassed anything he had done beforehand. I was thinking about the Borat film, generally, when writing that post. So perhaps, in this situation there was a bit of manipulation on his part. However, none of us know exactly how this went down.

Even still, it does nothing to back up your claim that he hates America.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:51 pm

mweir145 wrote: Well I'm also half American

You're half American?

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!! HA

The last time I felt this relieved was the time the paternity test came back negative.

In your face US. He's half American!!

B-)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk