Barry Bonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:43 pm

slomo007 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Is that why Bonds sells out stadiums across the country?


So they can throw shringes at him? Is that really what you want on display at the hallowed grounds of Babe Ruth?


Now you're changing your argument. Your initial point was about having upstanding citizens, then about money and now about soiling the hallowed grounds of Yankee Stadium?

I can't help what the fans do. They've been disgraceful before (booing of players like A-Rod, Rivera, Jeter, etc.) and they will most certainly be again. But I would gladly receive a 27th world championship in exchange for the groundscrew having to pick up a few plastic syringes.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:45 pm

slomo007 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I hope they do too. Then he can play right behind Arod out there in LF. What a duo of upstanding fine citizens and class act baseball players. ;-7

Talented players wins baseball games, not good citizens. And I would hope that's all the Yankees care about.


All a team should care about is $$$

And where does the $$$ come from? Fans.

And who do fans dislike? Bonds definitely, and Arod increasingly.

Barry Bonds is a huge attendance booster, what the hell are you talking about?
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:48 pm

It's pretty funny when the hate of a baseball player blinds people to actual logic, but I've seen it happen so often it doesn't surprise me anymore.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby thedude » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:00 pm

Teams are weary of signing Bonds not because of his club house cancer reputation or because who broke Aaron's record. They are worried that having Pedro Gomez, Kevin Kennedy, Tom Verducci, and reporters from every other major and minor news outlet from around the world will be an added distraction to the players on the team. Rightly or wrongly the believe that all of the distractions will out weigh any good Barry's Bat will do.

The Red Sox for instance will only sign Barry if is absolutely certain Papi is done for the year. (if they do sign him there would almost certainly be a record for most press passes ever requested for a regular season game; if it is the night of a Matsuzaka start, add the Japanese media and you have standing room only in the press box).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:01 pm

MLBTR bringing the D-Backs into the discussion....


http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/b ... nside.html
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:08 pm

slomo007 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Is that why Bonds sells out stadiums across the country?


So they can throw syringes at him? Is that really what you want on display at the hallowed grounds of Babe Ruth?


lmao sure pal. "The Hallowed Grounds of Babe Ruth". I need to save that for some laughs later.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:46 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:That he isn't signed right now is a joke. A joke.

I hope the Yankees sign him.


I hope they do too. Then he can play right behind Arod out there in LF. What a duo of upstanding fine citizens and class act baseball players. ;-7


As long as we get #27...

We? Do you have 26 rings that I don't know about? O:-)
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24805
(Past Year: 370)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:54 pm

I'd imagine this is the latest someone will sign him.
If it takes him 2-3-4 weeks to get ready that means he plays for you August + September + playoffs?
I don't think a shorter time then this will be worth it.

So this could be it for Barry.
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11354
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby knapplc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:26 pm

Funny. I was listening to Mike & Mike on the way in this AM and they were just talking about how teams haven't signed Barry because he's a cancer in the clubhouse. Their words, not mine. Of course in the next breath they're mentioning the Rays and Mets as possible suitors for BB, so take that with your standard grain.

thedude wrote:Teams are weary of signing Bonds not because of his club house cancer reputation or because who broke Aaron's record. They are worried that having Pedro Gomez, Kevin Kennedy, Tom Verducci, and reporters from every other major and minor news outlet from around the world will be an added distraction to the players on the team. Rightly or wrongly the believe that all of the distractions will out weigh any good Barry's Bat will do.

The Red Sox for instance will only sign Barry if is absolutely certain Papi is done for the year. (if they do sign him there would almost certainly be a record for most press passes ever requested for a regular season game; if it is the night of a Matsuzaka start, add the Japanese media and you have standing room only in the press box).

Best post in thread. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact