Barry Bonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Barry Bonds

Postby Armed and Hammered » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:17 pm

They've already said his case won't be heard until '09 so he would be fine this year. His agent has also already said that he would play for the minimum and even donate it to charity so money shouldn't be the reason either.

I think the reasons are the media circus and some higher ups (possibly) ill-percieved notions of him being a clubhouse cancer. All it takes is one of the 3 main front office players (owner, GM, manager) to either think he would disrupt the clubhouse or just plain not like the guy. Right or worng, I just don't think we see him in the majors again even though just about every team would agree he would upgrade their lineup.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:43 pm

regardless of whether or not he would actually play for the league minimum, bonds as your (almost) everyday DH for 3.5 - 4 million (half of the 7-8 million i heard was being tossed around as a number in the offseason) for the rest of the season is a bargain. i just cannot see how he cannot help a team on the cusp of contention in the AL make a push for the playoffs. insanity. :-S
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:50 pm

I do understand the argument for him being a no-brainer pick-up for an A.L. club in contention. But on the other hand, I can see teams not wanting to be THAT team.
You know, like late at night at the bar, when the 'usual suspects' are the only chicks left. Do you really wanna be THAT guy?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:06 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:I do understand the argument for him being a no-brainer pick-up for an A.L. club in contention. But on the other hand, I can see teams not wanting to be THAT team.
You know, like late at night at the bar, when the 'usual suspects' are the only chicks left. Do you really wanna be THAT guy?

THAT team that makes it into the playoffs and generates revenue for his team?

i'm not picking on you personally btw, i'm just being facetious.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NorthSider2 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:07 pm

I really hope his Record*** goes off the books. He's a cheat and deserves to get punished(sorry to all the fans of him). The game is of baseball is for the love of the game and not to be tampered with. He sets a bad example to kids and they should see that there is more to baseball then just HRs.

Hopefully the court gives him what he deserves
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 pm

fbc_fan wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:I do understand the argument for him being a no-brainer pick-up for an A.L. club in contention. But on the other hand, I can see teams not wanting to be THAT team.

THAT team that makes it into the playoffs and generates revenue for his team?

i'm not picking on you personally btw, i'm just being facetious.

I understand, and I was being facetious too. I am not up to the minute on his playing condition, and if it is good, see no reason for him not to be picked up, other than the before mentioned.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:31 pm

thedude wrote:Well the Red Sox are considering signing him. Or at least there has been internal discussion to that end.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3581 ... arry-bonds

I've been thinking this would be a great move for them for some time now. It's one of the only ways I could ever cheer for the Sox.

The Jays refused to sign him months ago because they didn't want to "sell their souls." Now look where they are.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:33 pm

NorthSider2 wrote:I really hope his Record*** goes off the books. He's a cheat and deserves to get punished(sorry to all the fans of him). The game is of baseball is for the love of the game and not to be tampered with. He sets a bad example to kids and they should
see that there is more to baseball then just HRs.

Such ignorance. It's just unfortunate that this is exactly what the majority of baseball fans believe.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby NorthSider2 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:38 pm

mweir145 wrote:
NorthSider2 wrote:I really hope his Record*** goes off the books. He's a cheat and deserves to get punished(sorry to all the fans of him). The game is of baseball is for the love of the game and not to be tampered with. He sets a bad example to kids and they should

Such ignorance. It's just unfortunate that this is exactly what the majority of baseball fans believe.

I'm ignorant :-? I think your ignorant for believing he didn't take steroids. I'm guessing a speedy SB guy going from bulky head hitting HomeRuns just lifted weights?

Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 pm

NorthSider2 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

I'm ignorant :-? I think your ignorant for believing he didn't take steroids. I'm guessing a speedy SB guy going from bulky head hitting HomeRuns just lifted weights?

a) the hotlinked image won't show up

b) you should do a forum search for Bonds, steroids, etc. There were several hundred page threads full of a weath of information and opinion for both sides on the debate (including for and against the on you used in that very post). I definitely recommend it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers