Teixeira trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Teixeira trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Teixeira trade

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:02 pm

It seems like they could get quite a pull for him, especially if teams bid up to get his services. I'm wondering, which contending teams would really want Tex? I see the Yanks and Rays (both these teams move their 1B to DH), with maybe the DBacks, Tigers(MCab could DH), Marlins(needing a 1B. All the other contenders seem to ahve pretty entreched 1B and /or DH spots.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby n3xx » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:19 pm

I think Angels will trade Kotchman over to the Braves for Teix.
n3xx
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bosoxrock34 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:57 pm

I dont know who heard what but Braves asked the Red Sox for Youk and Hansen. Sox declined.
bosoxrock34
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pappymojo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:09 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6788/news

Jul 14 Updating a previous report, Gordon Edes, of The Boston Globe, reports the Boston Red Sox are in talks with the Atlanta Braves regarding 1B Mark Teixeira and more talks are likely to take place before the trading deadline July 31, according to major league sources.

Jul 14 Boston has talked to Atlanta about acquiring Teixeira, with the Braves asking for Kevin Youkilis and Craig Hansen in a deal, the Boston Globe reports.
Recommendation: Teixeira is a free agent at the end of the season, so the Braves may look to deal him if they fade further from the playoff race before the July 31 trade deadline. Boston may be feeling out the cost of potential replacements for David Ortiz if he's unable to return from a wrist injury.

In my opinion, this most likely means one of two things:

1) Ortiz is more hurt than the Sox are letting on.
2) The Sox are trying to drive up the price to aquire Teixeira as the Yanks and the Rays are both interested parties.

Youkilis still seems like a very valuable player to me due to his defense and his position versatility. I'm not sure of his contract status though. He might be eligible for a big pay day soon. Plus there was the incident with Manny during the Rays game a month or so ago.
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby n3xx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 am

I think it's a combo of 1 and 2. Reports have mentioned that Papi will perform surgery after end of the season and he's NOT going to hit 100%. I don't think it makes sense to swap Youk for Teix as Youk is having his best year of his career and the only thing that Teix have that he doesn't is big power. Youk is very flexible too, as he can play 3B and OF if needed. The only teams that would need Teix are Angels, Rays and possibly Yankees. I still think he'll end up going to the Angels as a rental and Yankees will sign him to a massive contract during the offseason.
n3xx
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:04 pm

Ughh... I hope my Sox don't do that. Youk and Hansen for Teix is just far too much to give up.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:35 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Ughh... I hope my Sox don't do that. Youk and Hansen for Teix is just far too much to give up.

I don't think it makes sense for the Sox to trade for him unless Ortiz suffers a setback. But even then I don't think that Tex for Youk and Hansen makes sense. Same for the angels with Kotchman.

I think the package will ultimately be a couple of good prospects and the Braves will find a 2 month replacement at 1B elsewhere. Guys like Michael Bowden, Adenhart, Lars Anderson, Austin Jackson and a 2nd good, but not great prospect. And maybe a 3rd lesser prospect. I doubt the Braves will get tunnel vision and look specifically for a MLB 1B replacement in the trade since it reduces the packages available considerably. Get the best talent possible back if they trade him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:44 pm

I could see the Sox going after Teixeira. He did play 3B and OF in his rookie season so he's not exactly Mo Vaughn out there. Manny is probably gone after this season and Ortiz is not going to age well. They will need a force in the middle of that lineup. He's a far more talented player than Youk but I'm not sure if the trade makes a lot of sense for the Sox right now. They are better off waiting until they know what is going on with Ortiz or just pick up Teix after the season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:50 pm

I could see the Sox doing the deal if it didn't involve Youkilis. It would make sense for them no matter what happens to Tex contract-wise.

* They could legitimately use a half-year rental with Ortiz being a huge question mark for the rest of the season and they're in the hunt for the playoffs.
* They could legitimately use a long-term power bat to replace Manny either declining or them running out of player options on him.

I don't think they'd give one of their starters to acquire him but if it was a bullpen arm and a decent prospect I could see the logic of a deal.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:23 pm

Sox could use a power bat long term, but I don't think getting Teixeira early really gives them an advantage in a long-term signing. And if Ortiz is OK and the Sox don't give up a starter, then the Sox would have to sit one of Drew, Ramirez, Teixeira, Lowell, Youk, and Ortiz. I don't think any of them would really be happy to do that....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates