Teixeira trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Teixeira trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Teixeira trade

Postby remus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:06 pm

interesting if we see the rays make a move and they can DH pena. they have pitchers to deal and price can then come up. they are doing so well though without making a move like that. regardless tex will be a yankee in the near future
remus
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jtys17 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:45 pm

Yankees probably won't be holding onto Giambi so it would make sense for them to pursue Teix; that is typically enough reason for Boston to get involved (if for no other reason than increasing the price that NY pays).
jtys17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:02 am

I cant see him going somewhere. For the Braves to trade him they have to be well out of it and the team trading for him is going to have to give up at least 1 A prospect plus probably a couple more guys. The Braves think they can resign him (his wife is from down there) so its gonna take more to get him.

The Yankees dont have the ammo to make the deal, I dont see the Sox (either one), Cubs, Brewers, Phils, Angels, Cards, Dodgers or Dbacks having any real need for him (at that price). That leaves Tampa. If Tampa is still leading the division in 3 weeks then maybe I can see them making that move.

Oh, and the guy (jtys17) who mentioned the Yankees dumping Giambi, what are you on? We are talking about a midseason deal, so I doubt that grabbing an expiring contract is gonna be real apealling from that POV.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby remus » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:59 am

weere talking end of year free agency too though
remus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:41 pm

remus wrote:weere talking end of year free agency too though

I didnt see anyone talking about Free agency. The post is about a trade and every response has focused on that. Unless you have some special access that lets you see some secret comments that I can't.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:50 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
remus wrote:weere talking end of year free agency too though

I didnt see anyone talking about Free agency. The post is about a trade and every response has focused on that. Unless you have some special access that lets you see some secret comments that I can't.

You don't need, "secret comments"; you just need basic facts of baseball contracts.

Tex is a free agent after this season so unless a team thinks that they can work out a long-term deal with him after the season, his trade value isn't that high. Sure, he's great, but it would only be a 2-month rental. So the question of signability will loom large in any Teixiera trade talks.

For example, Tampa? Seriously? Atlanta's value if they don't trade Tex is 2 1st-rounders (or a 1st rounder and a sandwich pick, really)... so any team trading for Tex will have to beat that value. Do you think Tampa is going to trade away young talent that's better than 2 high draft picks given that it would be a certainty that they wouldn't resign Tex? I don't.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tah161 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Detriot could use him. Plug him in at first and use M-Cab as the DH. Yankee's could also use him since they have Giambi at first.

Detriot could also use Bonds. I dont see why they wouldnt be willing to give the guy a shot. At this point, if he wants to play bad enough, he would play for pennies.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Danimal » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Detroit needs Bonds like Iran needs more missles.
Detroit doesn't need Bonds or Tex. They need an attitude adjustment.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Matthias wrote:For example, Tampa? Seriously? Atlanta's value if they don't trade Tex is 2 1st-rounders (or a 1st rounder and a sandwich pick, really)... so any team trading for Tex will have to beat that value. Do you think Tampa is going to trade away young talent that's better than 2 high draft picks given that it would be a certainty that they wouldn't resign Tex? I don't.

Wouldn't Tampa get the 2 high draft picks AND Tex during a playoff chase? Of course there is no way that he is worth young talent that is better than 2 high draft picks...

But I don't think he's headed to the Rays. Or pretty much anywhere during this season. But I don't think he'll be a brave next year (but there is a chance).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:36 am

kab21 wrote:
Matthias wrote:For example, Tampa? Seriously? Atlanta's value if they don't trade Tex is 2 1st-rounders (or a 1st rounder and a sandwich pick, really)... so any team trading for Tex will have to beat that value. Do you think Tampa is going to trade away young talent that's better than 2 high draft picks given that it would be a certainty that they wouldn't resign Tex? I don't.

Wouldn't Tampa get the 2 high draft picks AND Tex during a playoff chase? Of course there is no way that he is worth young talent that is better than 2 high draft picks...

But I don't think he's headed to the Rays. Or pretty much anywhere during this season. But I don't think he'll be a brave next year (but there is a chance).

Ahh, but you made the mistake of thinking that Matthias knows what the heck he is talking about. You are right, the team that trades for him gets 2 picks if they lose him. I agree he doesn't go anywhere, but a Rays team that has ridiculous depth at SP definitely has the pieces to get him, and if they want to make a statement to their fans that they are ready to compete then this is a move I could see them making. (Same for any other perennial loser).

Now come the off season I dont think they can sign/resign him unless they blow him away. Here are the teams I think will go after him (in order of likelihood of getting him.

1. Yankees- Money money money money money
2. Baltimore - Hometown, showing signs of improvement and Angelos has made it clear he is ready to spend
3. Mets- Money
4. Braves - Wife is from Georgia, likes the area, may be willing to give them a discount
5. Texas - He liked playing there and they have the checkbook
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates