Second Sig try - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Contests and Showing Off

Second Sig try

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

Second Sig try

Postby WalkOffWin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:47 pm

Let me preface this by again stating that I own no third party graphics editing program, I just like to mess around with the lovely MS Paint app that comes on my computer. Also, I am still getting used to sizing down my images for the forums regulations. Anyways, Kinsler has been killing it this year with his power/speed combo and I hadnt seen any sigs of him yet, so here it is. What do you think? An improvement on my Uggla one or no?

Also just whipped up this version, for those that perfer some sort of background image. I know its not real good tho.

Last edited by WalkOffWin on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Decatur Kings: 12 team Yahoo Roto
Top Hitters: Dan Uggla, Pat Burrell, Nate McLouth
Top Pitchers: Brandon Webb, Jake Peavy, Jonathon Papelbon
WalkOffWin
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Second Sig try

Postby smoovethug » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:08 pm

First off, very good job for your second sig. The cutting needs a little work in some areas but like many things you'll get the hang of that with practice. The background could use a little more depth and detail. Maybe try blending in a team logo, stadium, a pattern of some sort, etc, just something to spice it up some. I'm not a huge fan of big text but that's a matter of preference. Again, this an overall fine job, keep up the nice work and continue to practice at it.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby WalkOffWin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks Smoovethug. You are right, the cutting is probably the hardest part, you always have to take off a lil more than you think. I hate how things get all blurred when I save as a .jpg tho. Maybe that is b/c im just using paint? I wish I could do all the cool fade and transparency effects that you guys do, but for now im just limited to copy and paste.

WalkOffWin
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby smoovethug » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Getting your sig under 12 kb for cafe limits will diminish the quality of the sig so that's to be expected. Maybe it's hampered more bc you're using paint but I wouldn't know. I like the second version better. I also didn't know paint had no blending options. Check your inbox. ;-)

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby soty » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:51 pm

WalkOffWin wrote:Thanks Smoovethug. You are right, the cutting is probably the hardest part, you always have to take off a lil more than you think. I hate how things get all blurred when I save as a .jpg tho. Maybe that is b/c im just using paint? I wish I could do all the cool fade and transparency effects that you guys do, but for now im just limited to copy and paste.
Download GIMP its free and a lot better than Paint. As for your new sig...that looks pretty good for using MS Paint. ;-D
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby WalkOffWin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:38 pm

I agree that it looks better with a photo bg. I found this pic of fireworks at arlington, I think this version is better than the other two, what do you think?

Thanks for the link soty, Im definetly gonna check it out.

WalkOffWin
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:59 pm

just by simply changing the bg pic, you arent making your sigs any "better". you're just switching them around.

that being said, you seem to have a lot of the basics down for only your second sig. the cutting needs work, and while you say its the hardest part now, that will easily become the simpliest. work on some more depth for the bg's, and you need to change the lighting on the player render/cut. i know you're using paint, so thats probably impossible, but those suggestions are for when you start using gimp or photoshop.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby soty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:54 am

WalkOffWin wrote:I agree that it looks better with a photo bg. I found this pic of fireworks at arlington, I think this version is better than the other two, what do you think?

Thanks for the link soty, Im definetly gonna check it out.

No problem glad I could help. BTW your sig looks much better with the background. ;-D
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Return to Contests and Showing Off