Hairston - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hairston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hairston

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:06 pm

jerry hairston jr(cin). i have him slotted as my SS along with aviles (kc) right now and was thinking of dropping aviles. my only concern is that hairston wont be a full time player all season.

does he play everyday? will he play everyday? is there an injured player out there that will cut into his minutes once healed? is he still fighting w keppinger(sp)? i cant really find any info on him to see if he will be servicable as my full time SS from here on out. the depth chart that you get to from the yahoo profile page still has him as a second option at 2B and SS
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hairston

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:46 pm

3 guys, 2 spots (Hairston, Kepp, Encarnacion, SS/3B)

I think he's a safe bet though. Keppinger hasn't looked too good lately, and Hairston can also be used in the OF to spell Griffey. Besides, the Reds don't really have a leadoff guy if they don't use Hairston there.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:52 pm

Hairston has been hot and his numbers, based on playing time, are fairly consistent. Though he's pretty banged up even now with a still broken thumb and a bad back. I wouldn't count on him playing everyday due to Keppinger and Edwin but in a pinch he's tought to beat right now with his eligibilty and Freel on the DL still too.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:47 pm

aslong as Hairston is hitting he will be a regular in some defensive spot. since both Keppinger and Hairston have been back Hairston has only missed one game.. and when hes in there he is the Reds leadoff hitter.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Postby j24jags » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 pm

He's been filling in for me while I'm waiting for Furcal's never-ending DL stint to end, I've been very happy with Hairston's production ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stumpak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Hairston is playing way over his head. Why would anyone think that a guy who has been around forever and has not held down a full-time in years will blossom into a consistent .300+ hitter? He has a .259 career average and his OPS is literally +.300 from his average the past 2 seasons. It is tough to think of someone more likey to crash back down to earth. I am pleased as punch that the team I am tied with for 2nd place has picked him up and is starting him at 2B ahead of Polanco.

That said, he is a decent SS fill-in acompared to some of the other WW options if you need SBs. In a deep league, he is a decent bench player and spot starter against lefties do his multi-position capability. Overall, I would rather have Nomar when he becomes eligable unless I am really desperate for SBs.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yaboygino » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:10 pm

love this guy he should be owned worldwide, plus he plays almost every position!
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:07 pm

i will agree that Hairston is playing higher than he should and is likely to come back down, but were comparing the two SS in Cincinnati, Hairston vs Keppinger ..and what has Keppinger done to be valued higher than Hairston?
my whole point in the argument between Hairston and Keppinger is just that, its between those two players, and why should Keppinger in any way be valued higher than Hairston regardless of how well Hairston is currently hitting. its not like Keppinger was some high profile prospect himself.
Keppinger is 0 for his last 19, 0 for July.
if someone wants to say Hairston is playing higher than he should, the same can be said for Keppinger when he was hitting well like the numbers he had last season.
throw out Hairston bad numbers from previous seasons, prior to last year Keppinger didnt exactly have good numbers in 2005 as a rookie.
Hairston might not have hit well in recent years, but he has proven in the past that he can put up productive numbers while he was with Baltimore.
Hairston is the best option in the leadoff spot the Reds have
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Postby stumpak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i will agree that Hairston is playing higher than he should and is likely to come back down, but were comparing the two SS in Cincinnati, Hairston vs Keppinger ..and what has Keppinger done to be valued higher than Hairston?
my whole point in the argument between Hairston and Keppinger is just that, its between those two players, and why should Keppinger in any way be valued higher than Hairston regardless of how well Hairston is currently hitting. its not like Keppinger was some high profile prospect himself.
Keppinger is 0 for his last 19, 0 for July.
if someone wants to say Hairston is playing higher than he should, the same can be said for Keppinger when he was hitting well like the numbers he had last season.
throw out Hairston bad numbers from previous seasons, prior to last year Keppinger didnt exactly have good numbers in 2005 as a rookie.
Hairston might not have hit well in recent years, but he has proven in the past that he can put up productive numbers while he was with Baltimore.
Hairston is the best option in the leadoff spot the Reds have

Sorry if I misunderstood your initial comment, I was talking about Hairston's fantasy value, which in no way should be based on extrapolating his 2008 performance. In terms of whether he is the Reds best lead-off option, I might debate that, but you are right that he bests Keppinger and he knows how to draw a walk - his career OBP is much higher than normal for a guy with a .259 career BA.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:32 pm

His LD rate is a ridiculous 31.5%, which is way out of line with the rest of his career numbers. However, his LD rate with Balitmore and Chicago was around 23%, and his BABIP was only around .300, so I'm willing to believe he can hit .300 from here on out, not the .259 career hitter he is. And if he plays every day, he probably could steal about 15 more bases down the stretch, assuming health...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers