Age Difference in Dating - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Age Difference in Dating

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Age Difference in Dating

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:33 pm

I had this conversation with a friend of mine the other day and I would liek to get a different perspective on it.

Is dating someone who 10 years your junior wrong?

My personal belief is that he/she needs to be above the legal age of 18, after that I don't care. I had grandparents that were 8 years apart and I have known of plenty happy marriages where there was a 10 year age difference. The big thing for me is that they need to be past the age of 18 and at least out of high school. It's not cool for a 28 year old to go to a senior prom, sorry, it is just not.

When dealing with age differences I don't really think age matters as much as maturity or where a person is in their life.

My friend disagreed slightly with me. He said that 18 was too young to date someone who was 28. Most 18 year old don't have the maturity to handle that. I can see his point on that and I somewhat agree.

Any thoughts?
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Age Difference in Dating

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:35 pm

It depends on the people and the ages we are talking about. Once you reach 18-20, dating someone much older isn't really a big deal in my mind.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:46 pm

I would just make sure that she is legal.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:50 pm

It depends entirely on the situation, unless one of the people is a minor. Then it's not appropriate. But certainly if you're talking anyone over the age of about 20 and someone 30 or more, it could certainly work. I have friends ten years younger than me that I can converse with on a "normal" level. There are lots of guys ten years younger than me here at the Cafe that I get along with just fine. It just depends on the maturity level of the people involved.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:59 pm

Depends....when my daughter turns 19 and wants to date a 29 year old...I've got a problem with it.....If I were to ever get a divorice and wanted to date someone 10-15 years younger I don't see what the problem is?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:03 pm

J35J wrote:Depends....when my daughter turns 19 and wants to date a 29 year old...I've got a problem with it.....If I were to ever get a divorice and wanted to date someone 10-15 years younger I don't see what the problem is?

What if you wanted to date your daughter who is 15 years younger? :-o
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm

The 40-somethings dig me. I have no problem with it. *nod self* :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Yoda wrote:
J35J wrote:Depends....when my daughter turns 19 and wants to date a 29 year old...I've got a problem with it.....If I were to ever get a divorice and wanted to date someone 10-15 years younger I don't see what the problem is?

What if you wanted to date your daughter who is 15 years younger? :-o

...sooo wrong...so, so wrong!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby Phatferd » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:44 pm

I'm 24 and I really have no interest in "dating" someone that is 18-19. I know it's legal, but I really feel like I am in a different place than most people that age and cannot relate to them. Don't get me wrong, I find many of these girls attractive and wouldn't mind getting "to know" some of them. As far as a relationship goes, I just think it would be too hard and especially being 24, I couldn't take them to bars and stuff and it's just not worth it to me.

I do seem to get attention from a lot of divorced "middle-aged" women though. Same thing applies to them. I would never think of being in a relationship with them because I just am in a different place in life, but if she was attractive I wouldn't be against the idea of getting "to know" her either.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Polar Bear wrote:My personal belief is that he/she needs to be above the legal age of 18, after that I don't care. I had grandparents that were 8 years apart and I have known of plenty happy marriages where there was a 10 year age difference. The big thing for me is that they need to be past the age of 18 and at least out of high school. It's not cool for a 28 year old to go to a senior prom, sorry, it is just not.

This reasoning is funny to me...so it's not okay for a 28-year-old to date an 18-year-old in May, but it's perfectly fine for the same 28-year-old to date the same 18-year-old in June? Legally, it would be impossible for the judicial system to look at ever instance on a case-by-case basis, which is why an age limit is necessary, but morally/ethically, there's no way to make blanket statements about what is right or wrong when it comes to someone in their 20s dating someone in their late teens.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk