Denard Span - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Denard Span

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Denard Span

Postby Bwanna » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:53 am

In 48 ABs, since getting called up due to Cuddyer's injury, he's hitting .313 in the nine hole for the Twins. He's recently had LASIK performed, and was hitting .340 at Rochester this year.

First rounder from 2002, and apparently his primary value is speed, so might be someone to watch in roto leagues, if he continues to hit the ball well. When Cuddyer comes back though, he may not get much PT.

Any Twins' homers have any insight?
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 324)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Denard Span

Postby Ursa » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Bwanna wrote:In 48 ABs, since getting called up due to Cuddyer's injury, he's hitting .313 in the nine hole for the Twins. He's recently had LASIK performed, and was hitting .340 at Rochester this year.

First rounder from 2002, and apparently his primary value is speed, so might be someone to watch in roto leagues, if he continues to hit the ball well. When Cuddyer comes back though, he may not get much PT.

Any Twins' homers have any insight?

I think you've nailed it. When Cuddyer comes back, he'll slot back in at #5 or #6 and take over in RF. Span will be on the bench (or likely sent back to Rochester). Span is a fine prospect but the Twins are overloaded with OF this season - Young, Gomez, Cuddyer, Kubel, Monroe are all outfielders so there isn't much room.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 pm

I don't see how Span stays in the majors. Delmon and Gomez have to play because the Twins gave up a lot to get both those guys. Cuddyer deserves a starting spot, and Kubel and Monroe really should be platooning DH at least(are they?). That leaves maybe twice a week for Span as a backup OF, and it woudl be a poor move by the Twins both for Span's development and for the actual team to keep him on the roster (Monroe and Kubel are both serviceable as backup OF)...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:33 pm

guy is flat out raking. anyone have any more details about this guy? I'm thinking of grabbing him for the championship week
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:36 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I don't see how Span stays in the majors. Delmon and Gomez have to play because the Twins gave up a lot to get both those guys. Cuddyer deserves a starting spot, and Kubel and Monroe really should be platooning DH at least(are they?). That leaves maybe twice a week for Span as a backup OF, and it woudl be a poor move by the Twins both for Span's development and for the actual team to keep him on the roster (Monroe and Kubel are both serviceable as backup OF)...

Cuddyer sucks. He sucked on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:36 pm and he sucks now on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:36 pm.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:57 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I don't see how Span stays in the majors.

sweet prediction :-b

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby mkultra » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:18 pm

The guy's hitting over .400 the past week, scoring a ton of runs, and stealing an occasional base. Oh yeah, and he hit 2 HR's the other day. Yes, please!

I can't believe he's unowned in over 1/3 of Sportsline leagues. I grabbed him right before our rosters froze at the end of August, and he's been fantastic as my #4 OF. I'm riding him into championship week. ;-D
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:05 pm

I hate Denard Span - I curse him and his family. He single-handedly (OK, not really) knocked me out of my AL-only league this past week with that ridiculous day on Saturday (4-9, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 1 SB). I lost 6-5-1 and only got beaten in RBIs by 1. Sigh...
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby markj11 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:23 am

FantasyFreak wrote:guy is flat out raking. anyone have any more details about this guy? I'm thinking of grabbing him for the championship week

Good job on jinxing him. 0-9 with 4K's since you brought this up.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers