Sabathia Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sabathia Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sabathia Trade

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:35 am

As an Indians fan, I have to admit I'm a bit biased in favor of our current management (Mark Shapiro has really run this team very well in his tenure). Still, I think we got out pretty well in this trade. Compare this to what the Twins did with Johan Santana--they got a package whose main highlights were Carlos Gomez and Phil Humber. Humber's a mystery who may never become even a successful No. 3/4 starter in the majors, and Gomez looks like an intriguing talent but I've heard more than one commentator say he's got all the tools but doesn't have the key to the toolbox. He will be a functional leadoff hitter, but he isn't a middle-of-the-order bat and may never be that much better than guys like Pierre, Taveras, Bourne, etc.

In contrast, LaPorta is a legitimate power-hitting prospect who combines good on-base, average and slugging skills in an elite package that many scouts compare to a guy like Lance Berkman. He doesn't have a natural defensive position outside of 1B or DH, but he can spend a few years in a corner outfield slot like RF before he gets older (again, like Berkman did). His upside is huge and his ETA is very soon--he could be called up in August and hold his own, and then put up .290-30 HR-90 RBI numbers in 2009.

On the other hand, what could the Indians have gotten from other contending teams? The Yanks didn't seem to be strong contenders, the Phillies wanted him but had no prospects, and LAD was mentioned but they would never give up Kemp. So if you ask me, I'd rather have LaPorta then Andy LaRoche + Jon Meloan, which seems like the most the Tribe could have gotten out of the Dodgers.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:07 pm

LaPorta is a good get for Cleveland. And since he's not much of a defensive player, going to an AL club with a DH is a positive for him. Like I've said in other threads, I think he compares very well to Pat Burrell, a high K/high BB guy with tons of power and mediocre at best OF defense. If they move him back to 1B or DH him, I think that would be best.

Rob Bryson and Zach Jackson? Not sad to lose them at all. Jackson is nothing, Bryson has some intriguing potential but is a long ways away. The PTBNL had better be pretty good, for Cleveland's sake. I fear it's 2B/3B Taylor Green, which would be a bummer. He would be a good get for CLE as well.

Oh, and if I had to guess, I would say McClung goes to the pen. Strictly conjecture on my part, but he just can't go as deeply into games as Bush can.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:LaPorta is a good get for Cleveland. And since he's not much of a defensive player, going to an AL club with a DH is a positive for him. Like I've said in other threads, I think he compares very well to Pat Burrell, a high K/high BB guy with tons of power and mediocre at best OF defense. If they move him back to 1B or DH him, I think that would be best.

Rob Bryson and Zach Jackson? Not sad to lose them at all. Jackson is nothing, Bryson has some intriguing potential but is a long ways away. The PTBNL had better be pretty good, for Cleveland's sake. I fear it's 2B/3B Taylor Green, which would be a bummer. He would be a good get for CLE as well.

Oh, and if I had to guess, I would say McClung goes to the pen. Strictly conjecture on my part, but he just can't go as deeply into games as Bush can.

Nicely summed up and I agree completely. LaPorta no doubt has the bat but he is a corner OF, 1B, DH type and was blocked heavily in MIL anyway.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:23 pm

I like the trade for both teams. ;-D

If the Brewers don't make the play-offs this year it obviously won't look as good in hindsight, but if they do that's pretty much what they did this for so it's win-win. Especially with C.C's draft picks.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:41 pm

AussieDodger wrote:I like the trade for both teams. ;-D

If the Brewers don't make the play-offs this year it obviously won't look as good in hindsight, but if they do that's pretty much what they did this for so it's win-win. Especially with C.C's draft picks.

As big a bummer as it will likely be when both Sheets and Sabathia walk at year's end, that will be an exciting 2009 draft for Milwaukee, fresh off a 2008 draft in which they had 6 of the first 62 picks.

Losing LaPorta kinda sucks, but as Yoda pointed out, there's a logjam organizationally at the positions that he's capable of playing. Braun, Hart, and Fielder kind of have their spots locked down, and we don't have the luxury of a DH. Plus Mat Gamel is unlikely to stick at 3B and will probably move to either 1B or OF himself. It turned LaPorta into a fantastic trade chip, and the benefit of a good farm system is the ability to move those pieces for established players. Sabathia is about as good as you can do that front, and I'm excited to have him.

Of course, if the Crew misses the playoffs, and in 3-4 years LaPorta's putting up a .270/.380/.520 line, I might change my tune :-b
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:Of course, if the Crew misses the playoffs, and in 3-4 years LaPorta's putting up a .270/.380/.520 line, I might change my tune :-b

Yeah that's what I was talking about :-D

I read/heard somewhere, that if both Sheets and Sabathia walk the Brewers will have 5 out of the top 50 something picks in 2009.

I can't see both of them walking, but that would be pretty amazing. :-L
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Ursa » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:50 pm

freeling_prideful wrote:As an Indians fan, I have to admit I'm a bit biased in favor of our current management (Mark Shapiro has really run this team very well in his tenure). Still, I think we got out pretty well in this trade. Compare this to what the Twins did with Johan Santana--they got a package whose main highlights were Carlos Gomez and Phil Humber. Humber's a mystery who may never become even a successful No. 3/4 starter in the majors, and Gomez looks like an intriguing talent but I've heard more than one commentator say he's got all the tools but doesn't have the key to the toolbox. He will be a functional leadoff hitter, but he isn't a middle-of-the-order bat and may never be that much better than guys like Pierre, Taveras, Bourne, etc.

In contrast, LaPorta is a legitimate power-hitting prospect who combines good on-base, average and slugging skills in an elite package that many scouts compare to a guy like Lance Berkman. He doesn't have a natural defensive position outside of 1B or DH, but he can spend a few years in a corner outfield slot like RF before he gets older (again, like Berkman did). His upside is huge and his ETA is very soon--he could be called up in August and hold his own, and then put up .290-30 HR-90 RBI numbers in 2009.

On the other hand, what could the Indians have gotten from other contending teams? The Yanks didn't seem to be strong contenders, the Phillies wanted him but had no prospects, and LAD was mentioned but they would never give up Kemp. So if you ask me, I'd rather have LaPorta then Andy LaRoche + Jon Meloan, which seems like the most the Tribe could have gotten out of the Dodgers.

No offense but your first paragraph is ill-informed. If you're obtaining your data from the Indians announcers then you'd be better off interrogating Donald Duck. Fact is, Gomez has lit a fire under the Twins this year and is way better than any of the batters you listed. His combo with Casilla is making people (except in Cleveland, apparently) sit up and take notice. Check out how your ace Cliff Lee got rattled by them yesterday. A series sweep, wasn't it?

The Twins didn't need another middle of the order guy, they needed a leadoff hitter / center fielder following Castillo's and Hunter's departures and they have two for the price of one - in spades. This was a good trade for the Twins as they couldn't possibly have kept Johan. If your new prospect measures up to Gomez this season, let us know.

Thanks.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

How will the Wisconsin Diet effect CC's "Girth"

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Just wondering if anyone is predicting a 20-30 pound weight gain in CC due to all the cheese and brats?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: How will the Wisconsin Diet effect CC's "Girth"

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:25 pm

I heard Prince is going to recruit him into his cult. :-b
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Re: How will the Wisconsin Diet effect CC's "Girth"

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:Just wondering if anyone is predicting a 20-30 pound weight gain in CC due to all the cheese and brats?

he doesn't eat meat you n00b
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers