Sabathia Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sabathia Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sabathia Trade

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:42 am

The Brewers have tons of talent, it's too bad they have no concept of what's going on with the rest of the league. Last season when they sold the farm for linbrink I figured it was a one-time deal... but now selling off your top prospect for a pitcher you probably have 0 chance of signing to a long-term deal when you're third in your own division?!?
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:01 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:The Brewers have tons of talent, it's too bad they have no concept of what's going on with the rest of the league. Last season when they sold the farm for linbrink I figured it was a one-time deal... but now selling off your top prospect for a pitcher you probably have 0 chance of signing to a long-term deal when you're third in your own division?!?

I think your overreacting just a bit. They didn't "sell the farm" for Linebrink, they really only gave up Inman. They needed RP help and they were very close to making the playoffs, you can't just wait and not make a move when your with in games of the playoffs. This year with CC once again they are right in the playoff race, and actually they are 2nd in their division and lead the Wild Card race (only 3.5 out of first, and the 2nd best record in the NL). Fact is Sheets is going to be a FA next year and they aren't assured of signing him either, so really in their mind they are thinking we have to make a push now while we can get 2 aces and see if our offense to carry us the rest of the way.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Third Day » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:34 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Who does this trade move to the pen? Manny Parra has been pitching so well lately, I'd hate to see him be the one out of the rotation.

Parra is the three, either McLung or Bush.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 272)

Postby hett2333 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:48 am

Is there any official word if Parra's start on Tues is being pushed back a day? I really don't want him in my lineup if he isn't a two start pitcher...
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:44 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:The Brewers have tons of talent, it's too bad they have no concept of what's going on with the rest of the league. Last season when they sold the farm for linbrink I figured it was a one-time deal... but now selling off your top prospect for a pitcher you probably have 0 chance of signing to a long-term deal when you're third in your own division?!?

Don't forget, LaPorta didnt fit into the MLB roster anytime soon (unless he passed Gamel and suddenly learned how to field a position) so it wasn't like he was going to be a difference maker for them, and if they don't sign CC (and Sheets) they will get 2 (or 4) extra first round draft picks.

I dont know about you, but the idea of the Brewers, a good drafting team recently, having 5 of the top 40 or so picks scares the crap outta me.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Third Day » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:06 am

hett2333 wrote:Is there any official word if Parra's start on Tues is being pushed back a day? I really don't want him in my lineup if he isn't a two start pitcher...

CC is starting Tuesday so he can start again Sunday.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:42 am

Wow I am very surprised by this move. LaPorta is a great prospect but it seems like CLE could have done better for CC. I guess they didn't want to lose him for a couple of draft picks. Looks like a great trade for the Brewers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:15 am

Yoda wrote:Wow I am very surprised by this move. LaPorta is a great prospect but it seems like CLE could have done better for CC. I guess they didn't want to lose him for a couple of draft picks. Looks like a great trade for the Brewers.

Milwaukee also got him 3+ weeks ahead of the deadline, which means they should get about 30% more starts out of CC than they would have with the typical July 31 deadline deal. Nice job of aggressively buying early to maximize value.

As for LaPorta, I would not be surprised if the Indians have no concrete plans on how he will work in at this stage. The sense I get is that they were willing to move Sabathia so long as the return was better than 2 sandwich picks, and LaPorta met this criteria. It was a value acquisition rather than obtaining a specific piece to meet a specific need. That said, if I were them, I would hastily dump Hafner ASAP over the off-season. Hafner would be a classic Mets or Yankees acquisition for whichever team fails to land Teixeira.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ursa » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:03 am

Given that the indications are that the Brewers can't / won't pay the money to keep Sheets at the end of the year, how will they resign Sabathia? Is it more likely they'll have to let both go and simply take the draft pick compensation? Sure is going to hose up their pitching rotation.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mkultra » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:25 am

Yoda wrote:Wow I am very surprised by this move. LaPorta is a great prospect but it seems like CLE could have done better for CC. I guess they didn't want to lose him for a couple of draft picks. Looks like a great trade for the Brewers.

I agree, it does seem a bit cheap. Granted, Cleveland is probably thinking that they're out of the race at this point, so why pay CC the remainder of his $11m/year contract? That's more than 3x what they're paying Grady Sizemore, who is their Franchise Player. Still, considering how many teams were in the chase for him, you'd think they could have gotten more for him.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers