Pence = Francoeur - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pence = Francoeur

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pence = Francoeur

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:44 am

Keeper1125 wrote:I just spun that bum (Pence) off for Mike Avilies. I was about to drop him, so I was happy to pick up a backup for a position where I'm weak.

I hope you think about what you just said/did at some point and realize the error in your ways...

Pence might not be the guy some thought he was after the 1st half of last season, but trading him for Aviles? Really? WOW...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Keeper1125 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:51 am

WaCougMBS wrote:
Keeper1125 wrote:I just spun that bum (Pence) off for Mike Avilies. I was about to drop him, so I was happy to pick up a backup for a position where I'm weak.

I hope you think about what you just said/did at some point and realize the error in your ways...

Pence might not be the guy some thought he was after the 1st half of last season, but trading him for Aviles? Really? WOW...

I hope you realize the error of casting judgment without context.

We start three OF. Currently, I have Matt Holliday, Ichiro, and Josh Hamilton. Mclouth is my fourth OF on the bench. I already have Adrian Gonzalez for the UTIL position, and Pujols at 1B. In other words, Pence was at least 2 moves from getting into my lineup. Did I mention he's a bum? I was about to drop him, because he literally adds zero value to my roster.

With Furcal injured, I've been spotting Theriot and JJ Hardy at shortstop, but neither guy is a great long-term solution. Aviles adds much-needed depth and has tremendous upside at a weak position. He could be kept next season for a 15th-round draft pick, as opposed to Pence, who would cost a fifth-round pick.

This trade was a no-brainer from my end. This is a big-money league that I've won 3 out of 5 seasons, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

Did I mention Pence is a bum?
Keeper1125
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Field » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Keeper1125 wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:

We start three OF. Currently, I have Matt Holliday, Ichiro, and Josh Hamilton. Mclouth is my fourth OF on the bench. I already have Adrian Gonzalez for the UTIL position, and Pujols at 1B. In other words, Pence was at least 2 moves from getting into my lineup. Did I mention he's a bum? I was about to drop him, because he literally adds zero value to my roster.

With Furcal injured, I've been spotting Theriot and JJ Hardy at shortstop, but neither guy is a great long-term solution. Aviles adds much-needed depth and has tremendous upside at a weak position. He could be kept next season for a 15th-round draft pick, as opposed to Pence, who would cost a fifth-round pick.

This trade was a no-brainer from my end. This is a big-money league that I've won 3 out of 5 seasons, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

I'm sorry, but trading Pence for Aviles is a bad trade even with your league settings and I'm rather low on Pence right now. He certainly adds value to your bench based on his upside and potential for 5-cat production Hardy is actually a better long-term solution than Aviles since he is (a) younger, (b) played in the big leagues longer, (c) probably has more power given his MLB track record and body frame comparded to Aviles. I wouldn't keep Aviles for a 15th round pick next year unless you are in a deep league.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby XFactah416 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:27 pm

Keeper1125 wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:

I'm glad that in your heart, you justified your trade, but, I think selling low on Pence for Mike Aviles is an awful move. However, if you're happy about it, there's no reason for us to be criticizing anyway.
XFactah416
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 84)

Postby j24jags » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:11 pm

I agree that selling Pence for Aviles is a horrible move, Aviles is nothing more than a flavor of the week pickup, Pence has the potential to be a top 10-15 OF
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby abrunn11 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:24 pm

Pence for Aviles is the worst thing I have ever heard. Why in the world would you get rid of a top 50 ORank player at his lowest for something called Aviles? Just terrible IMO Pence IS going to turn it around by years end, maybe not top 50, but definately top 100 #'s. Aviles is, well he's Aviles.
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Keeper1125 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:57 am

It's ok -- I'll bump this thread up in a year to remind you kids of how foolish you were.
Keeper1125
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:45 pm

I think dropping a 'Pence for whoever' post is off-topic anyway and only rambles on a thread with opinion after opinion, but hey, it's a public forum. Aviles isn't likely to be keepable, nor have much value in a month. It all may be for naught anyway.

I'll just say it'll be interesting to see if either Franc or Pence will make enough of an adjustment next year to return to form. Angel Berroa couldn't do it but there have been some turnaround guys from these sophomore slumps before.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:22 pm

Keeper1125 wrote:It's ok -- I'll bump this thread up in a year to remind you kids of how foolish you were.

its still you :-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Guys, you all need to step back and take a look at who you're disagreeing with. He plays in a big money league and he's won 3 times out of 5 seasons. He's also pretty sure he knows what he's doing, which is miles ahead of someone being not so sure of knowing what they're doing.

That's way more impressive than anything you guys have accomplished...so who's the idiot now?

O:-)
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers