Pence = Francoeur - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pence = Francoeur

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pence = Francoeur

Postby Field » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Is it just me or are these guys incredibly similar and frustrating? Both are free swingers who don't take a lot of walks. Both also exploded on to the scene in their rookie campaigns.

K/BB
Pence 68/19 = 3.57

Frenchy 62/20 = 3.1

I acquired Pence in a keeper trade along with Jake Peavy. Pence has been mired in a huge slump since he's been on my roster 13/75 (.173 BA) - those are Julio Lugo type of numbers.

Does anyone have any insights/second half projections? Many posters seem to expect a strong second half, but I'm not so sure.....
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pence = Francoeur

Postby KrunK » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:28 pm

All I know is that he and McLouth are riding the bench until they learn how to hit again. I actually got him off of waivers in one league, somebody dropped him for ellsbury. Apparently they were onto something :-C He's sucked since I grabbed him.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lordrevolution » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:49 pm

KrunK wrote:All I know is that he and McLouth are riding the bench until they learn how to hit again. I actually got him off of waivers in one league, somebody dropped him for ellsbury. Apparently they were onto something :-C He's sucked since I grabbed him.

Is this a two man league where ellsbury is on the waivers?
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby freeling_prideful » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Pence's lack of discipline was always going to hold him back a little bit, though clearly he is underperforming right now. Still, it was fairly clear that last year's average of .322 was a mirage--it required him to post a .377 BABIP, which made him one of my big BA regression candidates this season (the other one was Matt Kemp among OFs, which has held up). He also has some troubling peripherals this year, including a very low LD rate of 15% and a fairly high GB% of 47%.

Of course, Corey Hart is very similar in certain peripherals and is having a strong season, so...

I see Pence being able to be a .280 hitter in the 2nd half, and he'll get around 8-10 HR and a similar number of steals in the second half. He's not going to blow anyone away, but he can be a top-30 outfielder from here on out.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:30 pm

nah not that great of a comparison. francoeur is more of a free swinger who is swinging for the fences. pence swings so often to make as much contact as possible. doesnt have the power francoeur has.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:48 pm

Even though Pence has been older at every level, he's been much better at drawing walks the whole way until now. Francoeur has ~150 more MiLB AB and 60 less BB than Pence.

Put me in the camp of people who thought Fenchy would show gains on his improved discipline from 06 to 07 this season :-/

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:32 am

Pence has been up about 1/3 as long as Francoeur. There is still a chance Pence could have a ARam-like turnabout in his plate approach. It's not likely for someone like Frenchy who has been in the league this long.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j24jags » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:56 am

Snakes Gould wrote:nah not that great of a comparison. francoeur is more of a free swinger who is swinging for the fences. pence swings so often to make as much contact as possible. doesnt have the power francoeur has.

Agree with Snakes here. Look at MiLB stats.
Francouer career 262/88 K/BB ratio,
Pence career 244/149 K/BB

By no means is Pence's ratio excellent, but it is much better than Francouers.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:09 am

Pence had a hand or wrist injury last year, right? Has anyone read or heard anything about that being the cause of some of his problems this year?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Keeper1125 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:20 am

I just spun that bum (Pence) off for Mike Avilies. I was about to drop him, so I was happy to pick up a backup for a position where I'm weak.
Keeper1125
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers