Confessions Of A Turncoat Bargain Hunter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Confessions Of A Turncoat Bargain Hunter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Confessions Of A Turncoat Bargain Hunter

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:27 am

So I was at the Victoria Markets in Melbourne today, and I happened across some MLB jerseys for $40 (a bargain over here).

My choices were:

A-Rod (Nah)
Milton Bradley - Indians (Nah)
Nomar - Dodgers ( :-t )
Jeter ( %%%%%! No Way! :-t )
Manny Ramirez ( ;-D )

I am now a proud owner of a Boston Red Sox Manny Ramirez jersey.

Question 1. Does it make me a turncoat if I wear another teams colours, even though it's just because I like the player?

Question 2. Does anyone else have much baseball clothing that's not from your favourite team? (Crappy gangsta NYY and LAD hats don't count).
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Confessions Of A Turncoat Bargain Hunter

Postby Field » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:38 am

I usually only root for other teams if they are in the other league (NL) so I would probably wear a Jake Peavy or Tim Lincecum shirt. I'm not a big jersey guy, but t-shirts are always a solid play.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:46 am

Generally I would only wear from my home/favorite team. Going to the other league is somewhat safe. Going same league then you're a backstabber. Going same division then you really are not a fan so quit pretending. Going with hated rival jersey then you're some sort of amoral sociopath.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:27 am

Obviously I would never wear a Yankees shirt. I wouldn't want people to pigeonhole me as some arrogant a$$ :-b

But I do own a couple jerseys of non-favorite teams

LeBron James - a gift from the wife
Brett Favre - reverasble, a yard sale find :-b
Donovan McNabb - bought in the store
Adam Dunn - eBay
Also a Nolan Ryan name & # shirt from Cooperstown.

I don't wear them much, mainly because I don't have hats to go with them.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:39 am

I do own a "Red Sox Suck" shirt.

That is about the only thing I own that says Red Sox.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DbacksRback » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:44 am

I own a white sox/athletics and d-backs hat. Also an Utley jersey- 2 Favorite teams- Philles and Dbacks

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:14 am

bigken117 wrote:I don't wear them much, mainly because I don't have hats to go with them.

How about a purse? :-b

Seriously, I've never heard that excuse other than asking my wife why she has clothes in her closet with tags still attached.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:35 am

Sticky Spice wrote:
bigken117 wrote:I don't wear them much, mainly because I don't have hats to go with them.

How about a purse? :-b

Seriously, I've never heard that excuse other than asking my wife why she has clothes in her closet with tags still attached.

A Red Sox hat with a Reds jersey? Not happening...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:06 pm

I only own Mets and Jets jerseys. I'll buy hats of other teams, but not Yanks or Sox. I'll wear a lot of different soccer jerseys, even if they are direct rivals of who I support (I own a Chelsea jersey), if I like the way they look. I don't wear basketball jerseys or hockey sweaters.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm guilty for having too many jerseys. :-b

I have a ton of soccer jerseys, as you'd expect, most of which are Manchester United and Barcelona jerseys (but I'd say there are more United jerseys in the mix). I do have some soccer jerseys from different leagues though: (Glasgow) Celtic, England national team, LA Galaxy (both Beckham jerseys), Boca Juniors, Olympique Lyonnais, Marseille, Inter Milan (see I even have something from Italy). My ex-girlfriend is a die-hard Arsenal fan and I didn't mind the two Arsenal jerseys she bought me but I rarely wear them. I also have a retro West Ham shirt with Bobby Moore's #6 on it that a West Ham fan friend of mine has. My mom bought me a Real Madrid jersey 4 years ago and that didn't sit well with me, even if it was a prank and even it was David Beckham's jersey. I've been tempted to burn that shirt but it's in storage now where it'll never see the light of day. :-t

With basketball, I only have Laker and North Carolina jerseys. With baseball, I have a retro Reggie Jackson California Angels jersey and two Dodgers jerseys and that's all. Wit football, I'm not a particular fan of any team, but I do like the Dallas Cowboys and I have three Cowboys jerseys, although I have a Baltimore Colts Johnny Unitas, San Diego Chargers Lance Alworth, a Los Angeles Rams Eric Dickerson, and a New York Jets Joe Namath. I don't have hockey jerseys (I used to have a Ducks, Red Wings, and Rangers though) while I don't wear caps much.

So, basically, I'll collect any jersey if it's not from a club in the same league and/or a hated rival, especially the latter.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Next

Return to General Talk