Josh Johnson... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Josh Johnson...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Josh Johnson...

Postby Montana168 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:13 am

excellent start against a hot dodgers team. he only threw 87 pitches through the 5 innings he pitched so that shows that he will be able to go deep into games as soon as his manager lets him. 6 k's through 5 innings is also a great sign as well. his fastball was clocked around 93-94 mph most of the night but i think he wants it at 95-96 so theres a little work to do on that but other than that it was a great start after coming off tommy john surgery. hopefully he is a second half stud.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 am

Montana168 wrote:excellent start against a hot dodgers team. he only threw 87 pitches through the 5 innings he pitched so that shows that he will be able to go deep into games as soon as his manager lets him. 6 k's through 5 innings is also a great sign as well. his fastball was clocked around 93-94 mph most of the night but i think he wants it at 95-96 so theres a little work to do on that but other than that it was a great start after coming off tommy john surgery. hopefully he is a second half stud.

Before the TJ surgery, this guy's fastball was in the low 90's. The fact that he's pretty much in the mid 90's is VERY impressive so soon after the surgery. I'm trying to keep my hopes tempered but he could be a huge pickup for teams in need of pitching come down the stretch.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Montana168 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:17 pm

oh my bad^^. i must have been misinformed then. i thought i read an article where his fastball used to be at 95 mph, but i could have read incorrectly or the article could have been wrong. but as you said it is impressive that his fastball had good velocity last night.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:19 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Montana168 wrote:excellent start against a hot dodgers team. he only threw 87 pitches through the 5 innings he pitched so that shows that he will be able to go deep into games as soon as his manager lets him. 6 k's through 5 innings is also a great sign as well. his fastball was clocked around 93-94 mph most of the night but i think he wants it at 95-96 so theres a little work to do on that but other than that it was a great start after coming off tommy john surgery. hopefully he is a second half stud.

Before the TJ surgery, this guy's fastball was in the low 90's. The fact that he's pretty much in the mid 90's is VERY impressive so soon after the surgery. I'm trying to keep my hopes tempered but he could be a huge pickup for teams in need of pitching come down the stretch.

you typically throw harder after TJ surgery
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:34 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:

Yeah, but not so quickly - most guys need like a year and a half.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:30 am

As for the velocity increase, he was still very young when he had surgery so it could just be due to normal development. I am not so sure if TJ explains the velocity increase since it is just a replacement of a ligament in your elbow which holds your arm together. Typically elbow = control and shoulder = velocity.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OnceinDC2\1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:24 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:

I do not believe this is true. Some people come back stronger than ever but it's not that often, let alone routine, that you see people come back with MORE velocity than they typically did.
OnceinDC2\1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:06 pm

OnceinDC2\1 wrote:
I do not believe this is true. Some people come back stronger than ever but it's not that often, let alone routine, that you see people come back with MORE velocity than they typically did.

I have seen a lot of guys come back from the surgery and throw harder. From what I have read/heard from different people who have had it or know people who have had it, the reason behind it is the rehab and not the surgery. That would explain what you were saying Yoda about shoulder = velocity. All of the intense rehab you have to do to get your arm back affects the amount you are lifting and strengthening your entire arm and not just the elbow
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigRy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:16 pm

if his control is up to par he could be quite the sleeper. I am hoping he is bc i picked him up. There are some possibly better more reliable options just but not many guys who play for a winning team. I took Johnson bc Florida has the offense to bring it home for a pitcher. Crossing my fingers.
BigRy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:24 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
OnceinDC2\1 wrote:

I have seen a lot of guys come back from the surgery and throw harder. From what I have read/heard from different people who have had it or know people who have had it, the reason behind it is the rehab and not the surgery. That would explain what you were saying Yoda about shoulder = velocity. All of the intense rehab you have to do to get your arm back affects the amount you are lifting and strengthening your entire arm and not just the elbow

From what I understand its a combination of a couple things, mainly an increased focus on arm strength during rehab. Also, you take a guy who is throwing 150-300 pitches a week during the season (warm ups, practice, games) and suddenly stop letting him pitch for 9 months and that arm get more time off then its probably had since he was 12.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates