Authorities told Bonds, Giambi, and Sheff recieved Steroids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Authorities told Bonds, Giambi, and Sheff recieved Steroids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:05 am

wrveres wrote:
The information about Bonds provided to The Chronicle was corroborated by a source familiar with Anderson. The source told The Chronicle that the weight trainer obtained steroids and human growth hormone for Bonds dating back to the 2001 season. That was the year the Giants outfielder broke baseball's storied single-season record for home runs -- hitting 73.

this is what they never understand, They keep getting it wrong .. Barry put on his bulk, two years before BALCO. After the 98 season. Not 2001.

And, the timeline does make sense, WR. Bonds very well could have been using normal steroids, then the CBA included testing and he sought out (or someone sought him out) less-detectable steroids. This isn't as cut and dry as you say.

A primer, for everyone:

A primer on performance-enhancing substances

Here's a summary of the illegal substances at the center of the controversy over performance-enhancing drugs: steroid THG, human growth hormone and hormone EPO.

THG: Tetrahydrogestrinone is a so-called designer steroid because it's made from different chemical variations of testosterone. It is not produced naturally by the body. It belongs in the class of compounds called anabolic steroids. Athletes use it to promote upper-body strength, to help them hit home runs, for example.

THG can cause early coronary artery disease, hair growth in women, hair loss in men, impotence, testicular atrophy, rage, depression and addiction. Most people who use it think they can get cleared of it, so they might use it every six weeks. But the body gets used to it and sometimes will stop producing its own testosterone, said Dr. Andrew Gregory, professor of orthopedics and a team physician at Vanderbilt University.

HGH: Human growth hormone is produced by the body in the pituitary gland. Unlike the anabolic steroids, it promotes rapid growth of many body tissues, not just muscle. It is sometimes used in concert with THG and can make an athlete taller and more muscle-bound. It's particularly harmful for children and teens because their body tissues can outgrow their bones. The real danger is that no one knows how much is safe, Gregory said.

EPO: Erythropoietin is a synthetic version of a hormone made in the kidneys to stimulate production of red blood cells. In medicine, it is used to treat certain types of anemia. Some athletes, particularly cyclists, use it to increase their number of red blood cells so that they carry more oxygen in their blood, feeding their muscles and enhancing performance.

Gregory said that too many red blood cells can cause the blood to become sluggish. "Your blood can clot. That can cause strokes, and EPO has killed several cyclists over the years," he said.

But Emory University's Dr. Lawrence S. Phillips said most people do not experience bad long-term side effects from these supplements. And, Phillips said, "it's not totally clear at all that the net total effect of these agents is as great as tobacco and alcohol. Still, in all, what the public wants is for athletes to compete on the basis of their talents, not their drugstores."

-- Virginia Anderson
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:10 am

Look at Bonds in his earlier MLB days. Now look at him in the past few years (wish I had photos). He looks completely different and I am one of those who have believed for some time he has been on some sort of juice, and I'm not talking orange juice. I can not state it as a fact, but it just seems that way. And this news just continues to push my perception closer and closer to the belief that he's on steroids. Giambi and Shef also are on my list as of late. And those no name players....them too....but I've already forgotton their names. :-t

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby gregdub » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:38 am

I have done some reading on steroids, etc and they mentioned injuries are quite common. Body and muscles are so strong to hold tendons together, stuff like that. Lets see...

McGwire...guy was hurt all the time
Canseco...was always banged up
Barry...doesn't he have bad hamstrings that have plagued him over the past couple of years.
Sheff...his wrist thing(probably unrelated)
Giambi...his knees are shot

Just speculation, but I find it funny the injuries these guys have. But then a guy like Sosa is healthy, so who knows.
gregdub

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:41 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:The SF Chronicle isn't the New York Post--it's quite reliable.

Say what you want about the Post but they have the best sports page, at least in the NY area. ;-)

The rest of the paper is 50% news and 50% gossip, though.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby ramble2 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:19 pm

The Cow wrote:OK so exactly how much more evidence is it going to take for people to belive that Bonds was//is on steroids, oh wait and HGH. Makes you wonder what else these guys are on. I would definately put an asterisk next to that *73.

*He CHEATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COW

P.S. If you still don't think Bonds did/does steroids then please dial
1-800-GET-ACLUE

How much *more* evidence?

Until now, all the 'evidence' has been circumstantial and hearsay - hardly reliable evidence upon which to justify a belief. Personally, I'd be less quick to gloat if you are right for the wrong reasons. There's little pride in that. :-t

If what the Chronicle reports is true, then this is the first substantial line of evidence against Bonds, et al. If these allegations turn out to be true, it's a very sad day for baseball. :~(

Shame on Bonds, Sheffield and Giambi (and others) for associating with these creeps if they knew they were distributing steroid-like substances. :-t
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers