Report: Brewers offer LaPorta for Sabathia - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Report: Brewers offer LaPorta for Sabathia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:36 am

Sabathia
Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the Brewers are offering Matt LaPorta in a proposed deal for C.C. Sabathia.
Or at least that's what the Indians are telling other suitors in order to drive up the price. If it's true, then Milwaukee shouldn't need to add much more to the pot. Rosenthal says that shortstop Alcides Escobar could also be involved, but it's hard to imagine that happening unless the Indians sent additional talent Milwaukee's way (Rafael Betancourt? Masa Kobayashi?). Jul. 4 - 1:04 am et
Source: FOXSports.com
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Report: Brewers offer LaPorta for Sabathia

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:15 am

There is a counterpoint from a local writer in Milwaukee...

Fox Sports says LaPorta, Escobar offered
By Tom Haudricourt
Friday, Jul 4 2008, 01:50 AM

Phoenix - Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Brewers are offering top prospect Matt LaPorta and shortstop Alcides Escobar for C.C. Sabathia.

Rosenthal has a lot of sources and quotes some of them anonymously as saying that LaPorta, a first-round draft pick last year now playing the outfield at Huntsville, and teammate Escobar are being offered for the big left-hander.

I have serious doubts that the Brewers are offering both of those players for Sabathia, who can be a free agent after the season. In fact, I've been told by people connected to the organization that the Brewers wouldn't want to trade either for a pitcher who would leave as a free agent at the end of the season.

As I reported earlier, the Indians have been looking at Class A Brevard County third baseman Taylor Green, the Brewers' minor league player of the year last year. Why would they be looking at Green if the Brewers had LaPorta and Escobar on the table. I believe the Indians would have immediately said yes to such an offer because they'll never do better than that.

I do believe the Brewers are making a push for Sabathia. I just have a hard time believing they'd part with both LaPorta and Escobar, both of whom could be stars in the majors.

I respect Rosenthal but his sources might be off on those two names. I would think the Brewers would offer Green or Mat Gamel or any number of other top prospects before parting with LaPorta and Escobar. That would be a steep price.

Man, this is a good rumor. I am down to my last transaction in a keeper and Laporta is there for the taking. But the kid has to make The Show in order for the keeperness to kick in for 2008. We know the roadblocks are up in Milwaukee for him. Cleveland would probably give him a shot very soon.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Montana168 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:28 am

wow talk about blockbuster. i agree with the second article i find it hard to believe that the brewers would send laporta AND escobar for sabathia...if that were the case we would be seeing this as a done deal on ESPN right now. if milwaukee wants sabathia they certainly have the best prospects to get him compared to the other suiters in the deal.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beezer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Buster Olney has reported that 7 teams have been in steady contact with the Indians about C.C. but the Brewers remain the front-runner. He also said that he has a source that told him that Sabathia "has made his last start for the Indians."

I have an interest in this deal because I have LaPorta stashed away. Need OF help so I hope this is happens! I would imagine LaPorta would be on the MLB roster if this went down.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby beezer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:47 pm

From Rotoworld:

News: The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Indians have agreed to trade 2007 AL Cy Young winner C.C. Sabathia to the Brewers in exchange for three prospects, including Double-A OF Matt LaPorta. The two other players were not yet named. The deal is contigent upon paperwork being completed and medical records being exchanged

Please bring LaPorta up immediately!!!
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby benfro6 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:13 pm

The Indians will most likely bring up LaPorta immediately to play Right Field to replace the Choo/Gutierez platoon that plays there now. With the injury riddled season they have had, they are in last place, and will not hesitate to try to develop fresh talent. That is one studded lineup now:

Sizemore
LaPorta
Francisco
Blake
Peralta
Garko
VMart
Hafner
Barfield/Cabrera
benfro6
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby beezer » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Rotoworld:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is reporting that the Brewers have agreed to trade Matt LaPorta and prospects to the Indians for C.C. Sabathia and prospects.

According to the Tom Haudricourt, each team will swap two lower level prospects in addition to the big names involved, but Alcides Escobar and Mat Gamel will stay with Milwaukee. Sabathia would make his debut for the Brewers on Tuesday against the Rockies, and he'd get a boost pitching to pitchers in the NL. LaPorta, meanwhile, has a clear path to the majors and can be snagged by AL-only teams looking to add some power to their lineups.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Related: Brewers
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:54 am

well if the reports are true how long until laporta is added to yahoo?? do you guys think he'll be added as soon as the trade becomes official (i.e. all over espn)...or will they add him the day after he makes his debut?
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beezer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:34 pm

Everywhere reports that LaPorta will report to Double-A Akron. The question is how long will he be there. I've read on Rotoworld that the Indians plan on moving him back to 1B, his natural position. Maybe they get him re-acclimated with 1B and bring him up then. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mariners100 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:54 pm

You gotta like the Brewers making a run now in the Central. LaPorta will be huge for Cleveland and should be up in the bigs sometime late this year.
mariners100
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Injuries & Player Updates