David Ortiz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

David Ortiz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: David Ortiz

Postby jtys17 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:20 pm

sjguzin wrote:I ended up trading for Ortiz. I gave up Zack Grienke & Casey Kotchman for D. Ortiz & Andrew Miller. I currently have Slowey for C. Buchholz, so I will then drop Miller and keep Slowey when Buchholz is called up. Just couldn't pass on the BIG PAPPI.

I don't think anyone would have passed on that; you got a steal there.
jtys17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sweeper193 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:45 pm

sjguzin wrote:I ended up trading for Ortiz. I gave up Zack Grienke & Casey Kotchman for D. Ortiz & Andrew Miller. I currently have Slowey for C. Buchholz, so I will then drop Miller and keep Slowey when Buchholz is called up. Just couldn't pass on the BIG PAPPI.

I don't think anyone would have passed on that; you got a steal there.

yes indeed, Ortiz is easily has the most value out of any of those guys.
i'm debating trading Kazmir for Ortiz, but with out knowing exactly when hes going to be back i don't think its worth the risk, i wish i could at least get Ortiz for Volquez!
sweeper193
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:36 pm

Chris Forsberg, Boston.com Staff wrote:Ortiz: The Red Sox hope to get him back in the cage Friday and crank up the intensity for a potential rehab stint after the All-Star game.

Progress reports
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Gordon Edes, Globe Staff and Baxter Holmes wrote:Francona mapped out plans for David Ortiz that would have the Sox slugger back in action for the Yankees' visit at the end of the month, if there are no setbacks.

Ortiz, who was voted a starter on the All-Star team but will not play because of the injury to his left wrist, will make the trip to New York and take batting practice tomorrow and Tuesday, Francona said.

The Sox then will send Ortiz on a rehab assignment: three games with Pawtucket, three with Double A Portland, with a day off in between, which would put him in line to rejoin the club when it returns from a West Coast trip to Anaheim and Seattle. The Sox play their last game in Seattle July 23, then open a three-game series with the Yankees July 25.

Ortiz hit Friday against the pitching machine, in simulated game conditions. Asked if he felt 100 percent, he said, "I don't know. I've got to play first. Sometimes I get a little sore but it's not the soreness that bothers me to play. Hopefully, when I start facing speed, everything still feels the same way when I'm hitting. That's good enough for me."

Lugo to miss 4-6 weeks
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Howie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Ortiz to return on July 25

Jul 12 The Associated Press reports Boston Red Sox manager Terry Francona said DH David Ortiz (wrist) is tentatively scheduled to return to the team Friday, July 25. Ortiz will begin a six-game rehab assignment Thursday, July 17, playing three games for Triple-A Pawtucket and three games for Double-A Portland.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:33 pm

Matt Porter, Globe Correspondent wrote:In other injury-related news, Francona said David Ortiz will play tomorrow in Pawtucket and will play for the PawSox until Sunday's game against the Toledo Mud Hens.

Ortiz showed flashes of his pre-injury self during batting practice before the All-Star game. "He was hitting some balls pretty deep up into that second deck, which is pretty good news for Red Sox fans," said Francona.

Francona discusses his, Ortiz' ailments
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bwanna » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:20 pm

Marino's Isotoners wrote:
Matt Porter, Globe Correspondent wrote:In other injury-related news, Francona said David Ortiz will play tomorrow in Pawtucket and will play for the PawSox until Sunday's game against the Toledo Mud Hens.

Ortiz showed flashes of his pre-injury self during batting practice before the All-Star game. "He was hitting some balls pretty deep up into that second deck, which is pretty good news for Red Sox fans," said Francona.

Francona discusses his, Ortiz' ailments

Holy crap... I read the first line in that article...
Red Sox manager Terry Francona confirmed a report by the Globe's Gordon Edes today that said he would have an injection to alleviate numbness and pain on his left side today at Massachusetts General Hospital.

... and I assumed he was talking about Ortiz. :-o
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Ortiz's rehab seems to be progressing well, I hope he does well in AA and AAA rehab appearances and comes back to rake for the last two months of the season... he's been hitting bombs at batting practice, but live pitching is another breed of animal, I need him back soooo bad right now!
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Baxter Holmes, Globe Correspondent wrote:PAWTUCKET, R.I. -- The moment couldn't have been scripted any better.

With a 1-2 count in the fourth inning, Red Sox slugger David Ortiz called for time and stepped out of the batter's box to gain his composure.

The sellout crowd here at McCoy Stadium started chanting "Papi! Papi! Papi!"

He stepped back in with flashbulbs going off, and on his next swing, smashed a home run to right field that hit the top of the wall before going over. The solo home run gave the Paw Sox a 1-0 lead.

Here was the at-bat against Virgil Vasquez:

1st pitch: Called strike

2nd pitch: Swing and miss, strike two

3rd pitch: Fouled off shoestrings

4th pitch: Ball, low and away

5th pitch: Home run to right field

Ortiz Watch: Big Papi homers in second at-bat
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:02 pm

like the sound of it!!!!!!!!!! come back soon papi, my team needs yah
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates