Kershaw sent down! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kershaw sent down!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kershaw sent down!

Postby provpike » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:05 pm

I thought he was doing okay. He pitched a good game last night and then this news:

The Los Angeles Dodgers activated Hiroki Kuroda to start against Houston on Wednesday and optioned rookie left-hander Clayton Kershaw to Double-A Jacksonville. The corresponding move surprised the 20-year-old Kershaw, who made eight starts since being called up from Jacksonville on May 24. He allowed three runs on six hits in 5 2/3 innings on Tuesday night, but did not get the decision in the Dodgers' 7-6 victory. Dodgers manager Joe Torre expected Kershaw to join Jacksonville's starting rotation. "I trust he'll go down and continue to work toward getting better," Torre said. "That's the only thing I said to him. I said as long as you're going there, you might as well continue improving on your off (speed) stuff. He's got a good head on his shoulders. He'll be fine." Kershaw said he gained confidence from what he learned in his first stint in the majors. "It felt great to pitch good," he said. "I know I can do it. I just need to get a little more consistent, I guess."
(Updated 07/02/2008).
Fantasy Analysis
"I knew they had to do a bunch of roster moves, but I didn't expect it," said Kershaw, who was 0-2 with a 4.42 ERA. "It's part of the business. It's just disappointing. Any time you get sent down, it's not what you want." Kershaw was a low-end Fantasy flier in NL-only leagues during his time in the majors. He should be back at some point this season, but for now isn't much of a Fantasy option in anything but keeper leagues.
provpike
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kershaw sent down!

Postby Montana168 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:42 am

this news is SHOCKING. it would be one thing if he was just pitching terrible but he hasn't been. grant it, he hasn't been pitching the way people have been expecting but he's a rook...their gonna struggle. i think this is/was a horrible decision by the dodger organization, not just because i have him on my fantasy team but because it hurts their rotation and it hurts the kid's development. kershaw said that he was surprised that he got the demotion so he feels that he was major league ready and that does nothing but kill the kids confidence. if he was pitching terribly i wouldn't second guess the decision but he came off a solid outing and he gets a demotion. one of MANY horrible decisions by the dodger organization this year.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mikebal9 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:55 am

Now i have to decide whether or not to hold him in my keeper league. Basically, if i do, I'll be able to keep him for next year and will only have to forfeit my last-round pick. The more important question is this...do you think he'll be back this year?
mikebal9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Montana168 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:30 am

how long do you guys think he will be in the minors for? is it worth holding on to him in non-keeper, public leagues? if he is only expected down there a month i would hold onto him but if he's expected down there until september, it's not worth it...any one have an opinion?
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:16 pm

So now the Dodgers rotation settles around Penny, Eric Stults, Hiroki Kuroda, Chad Billingsley and Derek Lowe. Penny, Kuroda, Billingsley, and Lowe are locks to keep their rotation spots, I have to believe, but Eric Stults is anything but safe. With Chan Ho Park pitching out of his mind and Kershaw being surprised that he got sent down, what happens to that fifth spot?
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Montana168 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:33 pm

^^well it's been reported that stults and chan ho park will compete for the fifth spot. they will both be given the shot to start and torre has not ruled out going to a 6 man rotation if stults and chan ho park both pitch well, although i doubt that happens. i'd like to see chan ho park stay in the rotation but i think him and kuo are much more valuable and helpful to the team if they stay in the pen as long relievers.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates